Guitar pickup cover (a.k.a. design exercise)

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I thought long and hard after Chris' post about starting from basics, but I still will put my neck out and post my latest engraving.

I honestly don't know where guitar pickup cover is on a guitar, but I did my best to make it look better.

After I got it shaded I saw many things I could've done better both design-wise and technique wise, but that is where I am right now and it can only get better :).

I think the design has too much 'stuff' in the center and the outer leaf is looking lonely...

The good, bad and ugly comments are mostly welcome.

Viljo

Attachments

• pickup_cover1_small.jpg
    pickup_cover1_small.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 229
  • pickup_cover2.jpg
    pickup_cover2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 230

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts,
I like that very much. Really nice smooth cuts and appealing layout. I'n not a guiter player either, but from an aesthetic viewpoint I would say you enhanced the beauty of the object.

Peter

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
LOOKS great... The nickel cover goes over the magnetic pickups in the middle of the electric guitar. It covers two single coil pickups that make up a humbucker... ROck N Roll
Jeff

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It looks very nice Vilts. The only thing is usually these are plated and that will have a tendency of washing out your fine detail. You should be proud of your work on this. It will make a beautiful addition to the guitar.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the kind words!

Mike, this cover is plated too. Actually I was surprised how good it was to cut it. No fine detail was lost and I didn't break the graver tip even once. Now only time will tell how that engraving will stay that way during use and whether plating will start to come off or not. It was a test run for a client anyway.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
When this guitar approach to it´s end someday, this work will make it hard to the owner to cast it away. Very nice - i like it.
Mario

finn

Elite Cafe Member
I think your shading is very nice clean lines none of them are crooked or bent looks like a nice flow. every one has there own style. yours is nice keep it up

Latest posts

Sponsors