Simple easy transfers

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm finally got caught up a little so I thought I would put together this little tutorial. I use this transfer method quite often.
You can use this many different ways. By that I mean you can use the computer to adjust sizes or shapes your going to fill in.

First; you need good tracing paper from an art supply Co. and draw or trace your design onto it with pencil.
Second; use a piece of clear scotch tape and apply it over your drawing burnish over the tape with your finger.
Third; peel up the tape off the tracing paper. As you can see you get a pretty good pull.
Forth; apply a nice light coating of engravers wax with your finger on the item you wish to apply your pull.
Fifth; apply the tape to the item and lightly burnish over the tape with a burnisher.
Peel back the tape and you get a reasonable transfer to work with. You may want to scribe your line in if your afraid of smudging but you can always do it again if necessary.

It's quick, easy and you really don't need any high tech stuff if you draw actual size.

This was from a drawing I had laying around and I just went back over it with a pencil real quick for this demonstration. You can use a very refined drawing to get very detailed results.
Hope someone will find a useful.

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 165
  • step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 146
  • step3.jpg
    step3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 167
  • step4.jpg
    step4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 153
  • step5.jpg
    step5.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 164
  • step6.jpg
    step6.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 182
  • step7.jpg
    step7.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 181

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great tip Mike!

Just this weekend I was doing something similar.

Turns out the baking parchment so many of us are using for computer based transfers also works well for low-tech methods. I used it to trace my design and then just laid it face down on the metal to transfer the graphite. Sure, it's the same thing you can do with a regular sheet of paper but the parchment (like tracing paper) is translucent so it's a lot easier to place the design.

I need to do some experiments and see if I have a pen that will leave a 'liftable' line on the parchment, but first I need to finish the project I'm working on.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, I tried that and it works really well. Thanks for the tip.
I have been trying to do the computer thing with the damar varnish but It doesn't work for me at all. It just smears but I am pretty sure it is just this cheap printer that uses one cartridge for black and color both. The ink does not dry on the plastic sheet even after half an hour or so.
I will be doing what you just demonstrated for a while. It works. Thanks, Mack

castagnos&s

transfer

Mike, I have been using a similar method but with artists acrylic fixative spray rather than transfer wax, and i was wondering what if you were to spray a fixative coat over the wax to prevent smudging? just a thought. I have better luck with these cheaper transfer methods myself so thats why I asked. thanks, Mike

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Mack;
Out here where I live, I have to wait abt. 12 hrs, before I can transfer a good clean design, using a transparency film. However, you can't wait to long, or you can't get it to transfer.

The best quick that I have found, is the parchment paper, and lazier print method. The great advantage to it is that you are not limited by time, if you printed it to day, you could use it 6months in the future, and will transfer just fine. Whereas the transparency film would not transfer.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I just broke down and bought a Lexmark 2300 at Walmart for a whopping $23 and tried out the Cirelli transfer method. It took about 10 tries, but I finally found the right balance, but I did notice that you had to be extra careful of the print on the transparency film, or you would wipe it off. It beats Sarel paper tracing, but I think this method with the tracing paper and tape with transfer wax might be a better idea than sarel paper also.

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam.
Mack I'm glad it helped you out. That's the nice thing about this forum.
Chapi make sure you use injet transparency sheets and print on the side with the teeth or the rougher side. If you use laser sheets the ink will smear right off.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, where do you get transparancy sheets that are different on one side. Maybe that is what is wrong with my ink smearing. The only thing I have is sheets that are smooth and clear on both sides. Mack

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mack those are not for injet. You need to go to an office supply store and get transparency sheets for injet printers. Staples, OfficeMax or if you have a local store try them first.

Latest posts

Sponsors