Something in Aluminum

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Well I wanted to try to cut aluminum. It is ok, pretty soft but gritty to cut. doesn't cut as smooth as brass, I totaly forgot until I was done to use neatsfoot oil to lube the graver. I read that here somewhere.. I got the idea for the scroll from here. I was going to make a braclet from it but realised after I cut it out it is too thick. It will have no spring. Good practice though. I am going to get some stainless and make one that is narrower for my wife. I sure love doing this.

Attachments

• Engraved plate 027.jpg
    Engraved plate 027.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 314

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can't remember the last time I used any lubricant, so I wouldn't worry much about it.
Depending on the grade,I prefer High Speed Steel over Carbide when cutting stainless... gives me a brighter cut, (but it sure dulls 'em pretty quick)

Ray R Negron

Mack,

I buy 1.5" wide by 12" brass strips from my local US Hobbies I also buy scrap stainless from local metal fabricater by the lbs. I have also tried aluminum I just don't like the results not quite nice as brass but stainless is the best.

Ray

Paul Chung

always always use some kind of lube when cutting aluminium because although it's soft as anything it has a tendency to "stick". Any oil or even parafin on the tip of the tool will work. I was doing a guitar plate a little while ago which was aluminium so this was my experience of it.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mack, your lettering is starting to look quite reasonable but have you thought of taking a retrospective step and going back completely to basics as far as your scrollwork is concerned? I'm saying this to help you because in your enthusiasm you're trying to run before you've learned to walk.

You really need to concentrate on perfecting your cuts; tapering them from thin to thick. Hammer and chisel isn't easy and if you actually take note of the type of scroll that it is used for to best effect, it has to be the Belgian large foliate style. Here's a Miroku that shows the type of thing I mean.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/imageBank/m/Miroku_Presidential_shotgun_engraving.jpg

The type of scroll you are trying to cut is best suited to push type engraving. They are tighter and spiral in more which makes it quite difficult for the inexperienced engraver to control. It's also why a lot of continental engravers stand up and walk around their vise because controlling a hammer, chisel and vise simultaneously is incredibly difficult. Now don't get me wrong, h&c is used to cut tighter 'English style' scroll but it never quite achieves the effect (the Germans and Austrians may disagree here :) ). However, on the bold foliate stuff it is second to none. There are lots of short, tight curls and long flowing lengths to practice. Getting proportion correct is vital to this kind of scroll but I think you'll find it very rewarding. Above all, look at as many examples as you can of Belgian scrollwork (there are loads of Browning FNs on the web for example) and study it thoroughly and draw it first, the pencil is your friend remember.

Another thing, forget cutting aluminium crap. It'll do nothing to hone your skills as an engraver.

Last edited:

DDick

Mack,
Try cutting 6061-T6 or 7075-T6 Aluminum Alloys. T-6 means the aluminum has been aged hardened and it will engrave much better. You can also color anodize your aluminum part and engrave through the color anodize exposing the bare aluminum underneath the anodized coating--gives real nice contrast.
I use WD-40 for a lubricant when I engrave Aluminum .
I enjoy the questions you ask--I am a beginner at hand engraving and the questions you ask are the same
ones I would ask.
ddick

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
ddick is right...The "grade" of metal,...any metal used, especially aluminum, and stainless is important. 6061 T-6 & 7075 T-6 cut just fine....

But I've only been making a pretty good living cutting aluminum crap for 25 or so years...and I'll probably never be able to hone any skills doing so..... :)

PS..... I use A-9 as a lubricant....but not much :)

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
CJ, nothing wrong with making a living. But ali must be one of the worse metals to get a really good job out of. I've cut it myself and made good money from it but if you're learning you need a bit of resistance dont you thinK???

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus, where can I find out more about that Belgin scroll. I really like it and I can see what you mean. I had a heck of a time making some of the turns on that stuff I cut. I will go back to Rons book and learn more open stuff. Thanks for the info. I am so new I thought all scroll was basicly the same eccept for someones style. I will be the first one to admit I am illiterate when it comes to engraving. I try to design my own scrolls but they always look dumb so when I want to cut something I copy what I see for now but I don't know one type from another. I have some stainless steel that I tried to cut but I could barely make more than a deep scratch in it. I also have some scrap knife steel in the anealed state but that is pretty hard too. I am working with everything and trying everything but I still have better luck with brass for now. Thanks for the help. Mack

DDick, Glad I can be of some help to somebody.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors