Holding material for engraving

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just did another flask and used thermolock to hold it.I used a microwave to soften it and molded it to the flask and let it set up in the engraving ball to form and position it where I needed it to be.

nicglass1

hi cloudy. i used a large amount of thermo-loc to hold the flask i engraved for my father-in-law. it works like a charm and the best part is that it is re-usable

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Cloud, I just got a 1/2 pound from GRS. You're welcome to try it out, just stop by and pick it up.

I have also cut coarse wooden forms, then lay in liberal amounts of hot melt glue. I would be concerned with adhesion, and on a thin wall object, you certainly don't want to take any chances.

Tom

Mr. Murphey has his flask in his pocket. Reeling drunk, he is. Stumbles and falls. Feeling dampness in his hip pocket, he prays, "Dear Lord, I hope that's blood"

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Thermo Loc works great for these things......

Curious...
Where are you guys getting your flasks......??
I need some.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The finest flasks I've ever seen are made in Scotland by Grants of Dalvey. Fantastic quality. I've only engraved the brass nameplate on them. Not sure how well the stainless steel cuts.

Cloudy: Thermo-Loc is great for making reusable holding fixtures.

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
i like to use shellac, there are many kinds i use the one that comes as a 2" x 2" block and it runs about $14 the only thing is that you need to use denatured alcohol to dissolve it.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used shellac, I've used hot glue, I've made wood molds with rosin, I've formed molds with epoxy paste. Nothing, NOTHING compares to Thermo-loc for hard to hold objects.

If you are using anything else, you are wasting time and energy.

Latest posts

Sponsors