Some Carving/Scroll

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some more scratchings!
Phil

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil

The more you zoom in on these things the better they look - and they look great at normal viewing distance.

I agree with Tim Wells - one of your works has to go on my 'APB' (After Power Ball) list.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Glorious.

Phil. the dowels that barely show in the elephant's ear and the rhino's jowel....are they ever to be removed? I don't know enough about the lock internals to know what these are...the ends of screws or pins.....but they are so very well modeled with the rest of the image, and you use them as part of the canvas instead of going around them. Stunning.

Tom

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Okay Mr. Phil --- there you go again .... caused me to run out of adjectives that might fairly compliment your scratching. Good Lord man, what will you come up with next ? How long did the sculpting on the rhino's take ? Merry Christmas ol boy .......

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Phil,
There is so much that other engravers can learn from a close study of your work. I want to point out the things that I admire about it and perhaps others don’t see, besides the precision of your cutting and ability to capture the essence of the animals.
I am now looking at the underside of the receiver.
First, I admire the fact that the scrolls are not too complicated with a lot of intertwining tendrils and the fact that your negative spaces are in proportion, also that the outer edges of the scrolls lightly kiss the perfectly cut borders.
Next, I admire how skillfully you darkened the background area under the chin, nose and just in front of the left ear of the lion and how this increased the roundness of the head and, of sun and shadow. Then, you left a bit of light above the head giving a still greater illusion of space.
I also appreciate how you placed the ends of the two small tendrils above the screw on top of the main scrolls which again increases the illusion of depth. Thank you for sharing your gift with all engravers the world over.
Merry Christmas, to you from sunny and warm Mexico.
Joseph

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
I would say something but all I can do is stare with my mouth hanging open !

Ray R Negron

Another fantastic work by Phil

absolutly fantastic engraving work. Phil, your work is a study all in itself and for many engravers to admire around the world.

Thanks for posting

Ray

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom,
Those 'Dowels' are the tumblers, they are the pivets for the hammers and they rotate.
Thanks all and a merry Christmas!!

Phil

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
these fotos don't show/ wont open for me. what am i doing wrong here ? cant send them up to the archive !
NEVER MIND, it's working now !

Last edited: