Engraving Replica Firearms

fxstc1993

Posted this Q. on FEGA as well but so many have gone to Reno this week.

I have a project that really belongs on a Henry rifle (not the resurrected Henry Repeating Arms Co.). Engraving an original is, of course, out of the question. Would a few months of work on a $1000 Uberti Henry Replica be feasible in terms of resale and cost recovery? When it comes to making an investment for resale, a Colt or Smith $ Wesson can't lose, but a replica will always be a replica unless the buyer is strictly interested in the artwork and theme of the engraving. I've seen some outstanding work by outstanding engravers done on replicas but I believe they were mainly done for exhibition. Any suggestions?

Thank-you,
Chris Malouf
www.tattooediron.com

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris
use what you have to engrave on. I shoot an engraved replica Henry rifle in SASS. An original is just too expensive. I have engraved original 1873 Winchesters but I will not engrave one that has a lot of original condition. I have restored the ones I have engraved whichis also a lot of fun to do.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
here are a few pictures of a 73 and my shooting Henry

Attachments

• HENRYweb.jpg
    HENRYweb.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 1873-22calweb.jpg
    1873-22calweb.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 169

fxstc1993

Fancygun,

I recognize the engraving and rifle ('73) from another published photo. Thanks for reply, but I just didn't know about investing in a rifle, particularly a replica if it was something I may not want to keep. Like I said, a replica will always be a replica. By the way, excellent work - and congrats on getting published.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A replica will always be a replica is very true. The replica Henry is for my own personal enjoyment and a poor mans excuse for the real thing. On occassion I will restore and engrave an original winchester once again for my own satisfaction and a long term investment, I hope.
You have to be the one to decide how much time and money you want to invest in a canvas for yuor engraving. In the long haul...make sure you're having fun with it

B_H

Great idea for the winchester scene.! "Dash for Cover" is one of my favorites. Thanks for showing the rifles. Bill

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Chris,
I have the same delema as you do about engraving replicas or winchesters. I decided to try knives first. So I've purchased some investments knives to try out. Now I'm a little nervous about cutting into these babies. I'll bite the bullet (pun) and start soon.
If I'm not mistaking, I think Ron Smith engraved a replica rifle for a client and it was amazing. It seems like it was pictured in the Engraver magazine. Is this correct Marty?

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If it were me, I'd make sure I was up on my chops skillwise and do a replica or any other for that matter at a customer's request on their gun. I wouldn't do a replica on speculation unless it's something you don't mind keeping. I have two of those Henry rifles like Marty's that I intend to engrave for my sons to remember their old fart Daddy when I'm up on Boot Hill.

They will be a labor of love not spec and won't be for sale so in my book they don't count, moneywise anyway. Engraving an original Henry would be pointless as it would have a negative effect on value to most collectors I would think because they are rare compared to a 73 that Winchester made a blue million of.

Plus they shot a 44 rimfire cartridge that are unavailable now so it would just be a wall hanger. A guy could sell his original Henry and buy a Holland & Holland and shoot quail all day long.

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Glen, Marty,B-H, FXSTC

Marty as usual you are correct. Original Winchester's in good quality are pricy and hard to come buy. I am usually talking about the 73's and 86's. Don't touch a Henry or 66' if you have an original. You can pick up 92's and 94's very reasonable, if it does not have any special order items, but it does not have the canvas like the 66 or 73. If you do want to do an orginal Winchester find one that is beyond good condition and restore it, if that's what you like to do. I collect original parts, receiver, side plates etc., and then put one together. My web site index page has an original Model 73 on it. Bought it as a bag of rusted parts for $100.00. After a lot of filing, restocking it and engraving it, I antiqued it for that gray look. I use this for my black powder gun as it is 32-20. Glenn, this would be a great project for you knowing your skills as a machinest and I can tell you everything you need to know about them. As for the replicas I have a total of 4 73's and 2 66's and love to shoot them. Very affordable, and as Marty said you have to enjoy it. I shoot all of my firearms, original or not. I use the 73 replicas for competition and some originals to. My 38-55 94 for long range lever and my 38-55 high wall for single shot. Just understand that for the most part investing in firearms is not a very good investment as the returns are usually low. But, I don't buy them for investment, I just love shooting them and hope they will tell me a great story.

Just my thoughts

AKA SASS #50227 Have-A-Bourbon

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Yves,
I checked out your website. Very nice. It was fun to see some of your work. I think your right about choosing an old Winchester around 50% for an engraving project. I think if an engraver were accepted into the Grand masters program he could do justice to a collectable Winchester and increase its value.
my 6 bits

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
For sure. Any engraver with the reputation of lets say, Alfano, Rabino, Welch, Smith would definately increase the value of the gun. Glenn, look at Turnbulls site and some of restorations he has done.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was in a hurry when I wrote the previous post so I think I'll clarify my remarks a bit. Any good engraving job should at a minimum, enhance the resale value of the piece, that after all being the goal. I may have aluded to the opposite on the Henry comments.

I meant them only for Henry's and other exceptionally rare guns that are worth more plain as-found than engraved by a modern engraver. Most folks I've met and questioned including Madis agree that those old Henry rifles, collectors like em' original or with period engraving done by period engravers like L.D. Nimschke, Ulrich, Hodggson, Helfricht, Young...

Yves,
I saw your website for the first time and you do mighty fine work! And I thought you were just an old airplane fixer like me.:eek:

Latest posts

Sponsors