CRW's Knife Drawing re-drawn again

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
CRW with your permission,

Here is another attempt at CRWs Knife pattern. I thought the progression might be interesting. I am communiating with CRW and he is correcting his own work with some of my ideas and suggestions.

I have made some comments and indicated some problems as I see them.

If you can imagine the places without the red marks, this was the drawing CRW sent me.

The drawing seems to be in three parts. Left, center, and right, with the center a mass of unengraved spaces due c.uster of leaves without background area. This mass of the leaves is what I call a focal point. It soes not relate to the rest of the design. Shading would tend to minimize this effect, but it would have to be done exceptionally well with knowledge to disguise the problem.

Ths is by no means an answer to the problems, only a visual evaluation that could lead to a better balanced design.

I placed background areas in places to balance the background and if CRW would post his drawing, you will see what it looked like before I added to it.

I don't know why the drawing came out blue in the photo. Probably because I don't know what I am doing. ........Are you sure you want me helping you CRW?...............HaHaHa

Ron S

Attachments

• DSC00064.jpg
    DSC00064.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 222

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Ron thanks for taking care of the post, and working again on the drawing. I am posting the drawing you requested.
For those of you that are unaware, this is the drawing I did with changes from Ron's original re draw. It is progressing quite well, with Ron's help.
All comments are welcome, positive or negative.
Thanks for looking

PS. Yes Ron I want your help. Without people like you and your willingness to help, people like me would get nowhere.

Last edited:

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I tried my best to post these 2 pictures side by side so you could closely compare them, but guess I don't have the computer knowledge I need in order to do this. LOL.

It would be really nice if you could see them beside each other, there would be a lot better understanding of what Ron is talking about.

Ron, I will take tracing paper and make some changes tomorrow and send them to you, or post on this thread, whichever you prefer.
Later
Carl

I finally figured out how to do it. Now you can view both pictures at the same time.

Last edited:

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to thank Carl and Ron Smith for posting this process. This is very helpful, and I can't thank both of you enough for making this public. Merry Christmas, Seth

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to thank Carl and Ron Smith for posting this process. This is very helpful, and I can't thank both of you enough for making this public. Merry Christmas, Seth

Thanks Seth, and good morning.
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, I was wondering if it was helping anyone else besides me. I know Ron is a busy man and I do appreciate his time very much. He has helped me so much with this drawing it is unbelievable. It has taught me a whole new way of thinking when I am at the drawing board. This drawing takes away form the cutting, but if you can't draw it, you can't cut it. So the drawing exercise is very important to me.
I will quite for now. I get to talking and then start babbling, and I have started it again so it is best that I quite.
Carl

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
... I was wondering if it was helping anyone else besides me.
Carl, i give an example: without you and Ron i certainly would have unattended to the marked line in the picture below. Ron marked it in your design and named it point two. After that i watched my layout again and i see that this line must come out very clear, otherwise ...
You see, it helped me!

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Carl, i give an example: without you and Ron i certainly would have unattended to the marked line in the picture below. Ron marked it in your design and named it point two. After that i watched my layout again and i see that this line must come out very clear, otherwise ...
You see, it helped me!

Mario, I had seen your work and liked it so much I tried to emulate it, and see now that it is confusing as Ron mentioned.
We all have to learn and this is a great way to do it.
Thanks for the reply. Not that I can be of much help at this point, but if I can ever help you in any way, let me know and I will certainly try.
Carl

Last edited:

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Amazing what a little re draw can do. Here is a picture of the drawing after I changed a few things as Ron suggested, wow look at the difference.
It is hard for me to explain this but it seems like all this time at the drawing board is helping my cutting. Maybe it is helping my brain know what the cut is supposed to look like LOL. My cutting is getting a lot smoother and flowing better and I really believe it is because of the drawing. Crawl before Walk.

I will do a final drawing in ink with shading before I cut it. It will probably be after the Holidays though.
Thanks Ron
Carl

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These threads are great!

Ron's books do a terrific job of explaining things but threads like this bring up quesitons he's far too experienced to remember. Getting the answers to them is big help to us new folks. :)

Don't forget at the end to post both your original and final designs for comparison purposes.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A few other tips on drawing, and the effects of lines.

I see a few masses that bother me, but shading will almost cure that if done properly. Will be looking forward to seeing your shaded drawing.

An engraving is only as good as the design. If you cut well but cannot design well, your engraving will suffer. If you can design well but cut poorly, you design will carry the work.

Grace comes with smooth arcs and smoothly merging lines. Force comes with power lines made with two or three cuts between elements rather than just one. This increases the power and flow of the work throughout.

Forward!

Ron S

Bob Bullard

Elite Cafe Member
I have really enjoyed this thread and have learned tons from it and after almost a year
from not doing anything (health problems) It has rekindled my desire to do this art.
Heres hoping that everyone has very good holidays and the new year is good to you
Bob

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I am so glad that this thread has a lot of interested followers. It means a lot to me and makes me want to try harder on the design and drawing.

I cut a money clip this morning that I will post tomorrow. It was just laying around the house for the past few years, and you know how it is, you just have to scratch anything smooth and shiny. I took a pencil and drew a the skinny spiral and cut that, then added the leaves and shading as an after thought, and to my surprise it turned out fairly nice.
Thanks guys for following along. I know I have really enjoyed the journey.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Money Clip

Here is a picture of the money clip that I promised. Those are not scratches you see, it is lint. I should have cleaned it better. It looks better held in hand rather than a close up photograph. I should have held it further away. hehe :D
This shading is terrible I know, but overall, I think someone would like it for Christmas.
Go ahead and critique it.
I shall get better because of determination.
Enjoy the journey with me as I progress.
Carl

Attachments

• Money Clip.jpg
    Money Clip.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Sponsors