Leaf script letter on an old pocket watch

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I need some more presents for Christmas and my family expect some jewellery and engravings, I engraved a leaf script letter S on the back for my son Sam.

The watch was already engraved on the inside, it is in Dutch, but it says:
For the occasion of his anniversary celebration of his 25 years service. Hoboken 4dec 1925.

The watch is made of silver, and although engraving isn't to hard, even on this small size, the shading was hard. Like I learned from Sam's tutorials, I used a 120° carbide with a very short heel.
For the shading I could not use the 901 hand piece with the Graversmith, perhaps because I don't have a "Monarch" hand piece yet. But even touching the surface whit the graver without putting pressure on it, it makes a mark.

As I first thought that leaning on the heel makes the smallest shading line, I could make finer lines when I lifted my wrist till the engraver just begins to cut.

I think I have enough control to put the engraver on the silver without pressure, but engraving without touching is quite impossible I think.

The S is only 8mm high, ans I was so free to use Sam's beautiful S leaf script as it is for personal use. :)

So if one has some suggestions else then buying the Monarch.

Of course I learned a lot from this, and sure it is a nice personal present for my son.

arnaud

Attachments

• _DSC5636.jpg
    _DSC5636.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 185
  • _DSC5640.jpg
    _DSC5640.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 144
  • _DSC5640detailjpg.jpg
    _DSC5640detailjpg.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 241
  • _DSC5644.jpg
    _DSC5644.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 86

JT Kinney

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Arnaud,

That is very nice work, he script is very delicate. Thank You for sharing this work with us..

JT

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks both Dwayne and JT. Indeed the script looks delicate, I think I tried it to make it to much fragile.
Less shading lines but a bit deeper could have been better. But it is because of the size of the letter that make me cut it so fragile

arnaud

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
That's a very nice gift. A gift of your artistic ability. Very personal.

Latest posts

Sponsors