vintage stone?

catnip

as a beginner, I am not familiar with all the sharpening stones used by the engraver. at the moment I am using an India combination stone and a small Spyderco ceramic. However, recently I visited an antiques fair and found what appears to be a very old sharpening stone. could anyone have any idea what this is. it is about 4''x2'' cemented in to an ornate hardwood block. the stone itself has an appearence like slightly marbled soap stone, but is very hard, fine and flat. I think this is a great find, with eccellent results. so I'd be greatful for any ideas. cheers.

Mike C

What you have is most have likely is an Arkansas Hard stone. It is a natural occurring flint or chert that has been used by craftsmen for sharpening tools forever. It naturally occurs in several different grades with black generally being considered the finest grade. Good Arkansas stones are still considered one of the best sharpening stones around and fairly expensive. If you bought it right you probably have a good find.

Mike

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Sometimes old stones are dished from use. You can flatten a stone by wet grinding with a diamond sharpening steel.

Your stone sounds like a good find!

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors