Curl getting in the way

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Here is an example of the curl getting in the way of my engraving so that I can not see where I am going with the point. I am trying to look ahead a little but I am too new i guess because I get off track. I tried what Ron said about making a W shape on the stone with the graver but I must not be doing it correctly because it just dulls my graver. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If not I will just have to learn to work around it. Thanks, Mack

Attachments

• Engraved plate.jpg
    Engraved plate.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 190

Andrew Biggs

Hi mack

That curl says your tool is sharp and you are doing it right!! :)

Yes, they can be a pain and sometimes you just have to break them off. I've noticed that some metals just break off all by themselves and others develop that long curl sio it's as much to do with the metal as anything else.

When you start back up again go back a couple of mm on the line and start cutting again so you have a seamless cut. Don't start at the point you broke the chip off.

And a word of warning..........break the chip off by dropping the back of the handle..........not with your fingers ...........ouch!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Mack, at time I just reach up and flick the curl off with a finger after I stop the graver from cutting further. This way your graver stays in the exact same position when youstart cutting again.
Hope this helps

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the curlies will form, no matter what. i used to stop, snap, and re-start at the break. but i now do as andrew suggests; back off a couple mm to see where you're intending to go. if you start right where you snapped the curlie, you're surely to show a bit of a tell-tale deviation mark.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mack,

You are cutting too deep for a beginner. Cut very fine lines and the chip will also be very fine. Once you can cut fine lines with even depth you will have built up the skill to cut deeper and vary the line width as needed. Untrained beginners (as I once was) always have a tendency to start out too deep.

CRB

catnip

nice curls

As a beginner, I find curls getting in the way. but at the same time, it lets me know that my graver is sharpend and shaped better than I normally would (I'm still struggling with this). I'm pretty pleased with myself when this happens. So yes, I like curls.

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Roger at this point you are a little deep and it would take vise grips to break that chip off. Try lowering your handle and flip the chip out then back up a few thousands and start again at the same angle.
The more you cut the less you will notice the chip, also the more magnification you use the more the chip seems to get in the way. Don't use any more magnification than you need
Carl Bleile
southwest, Ohio
PS. While cutting give a light tap with the tool leaned over a couple degrees and back to regular cutting this will put your chip to the side.

Attachments

• chip.jpg
    chip.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 107

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Although it isn't imperative, I'd cut that from the other direction. This has nothing to do with the curl but it does have something to do with the tip being crisp on the end of that leaf.

When I come to the end of a leaf like that I'll lay my graver over toward the inside of the leaf slightly; not enough to do a bright cut but enough to make a taper and then at the end, snap that chip out. When you do the other side the same way you end up with a sharp, crisp point to the leaf rather than the cut coming up to a shallow spot at the end.

Unless that is the look you're after, then never mind all that stuff I wrote.:eek:

Sponsors