Engraving History help.

John Cooper

Looks like everyone is busy with the holidays! Here are some more photos of the attachment device. I hope some of the jewelry folks will find some time to assist.

Thanks in advance!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It appears to me that hte piece is completely made by hand,even the catch for the pin.This would not be unusual many years ago.Perhaps it was a custom order from a local jeweler.I have done some of this type of enamel work. Sterling silver is a pain to enamel,but it can be done.The US appears to be gold clad,also not uncommon at that time .The engraving is of coarse all done by hand,I am betting that it was a one off done by the signer as a custom piece.

John Cooper

Thanks for the reply Silverchip!

Can you tell me about how the rivets would have been made and used to attached the wing without damage to the enamel. Additionally it is my understanding enameling silver is not easy due to the heat needed... I am not 100% sure so any information and or corrections you or anyone else can offer is greatly appreciated.

I would like to know about the process that was used to construct this wing.

Thanks in advance!
John

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Rivets appear to be fine silver,made from wire soldered to the front pieces and then burnished with beading tools.Fine silver is soft enough to allow the beading tool to dome the wire pin with little pressure and not flex the main enameled wing causing fractures in the enamel.

Enameling can be a fairly simple process,a small kiln is no larger than a single burner electric hot plate with a lid.Fine silver is preferred,though sterling and copper are also used .

The shield is sterling and does not look like it is original to the rest of the piece,the degree of craftmanship does not compare.

The whole piece could be a fake,there are many people who can and do make fakes for a living.

John Cooper

Thanks for the reply Dan. Can you tell me about the technique(s) used to secure the rivets to the wings and then hide the fact they are there.

John

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
1. Ball end of silver wire

2.Drill hole through wing

3.Taper hole with setting burr

4.Hammer balled silver wire into steel plate with the same hole size and tapered hole

5.Place wire rivet into wing and burnish to blend surfaces

6.Engrave

Latest posts

Sponsors