Blackening silver

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, I was just wondering what everyone uses to blacken silver, and or what is the process. Has anyone tried it on argentum silver. That most recent posted braclett was "oxidized", and have no clue how to do this. Thanks, seth

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Seth,
If I want to oxidize a piece, I either use "silver black" or "liver of sulfer". Both are available from most any jewelry supply. After blacking the piece, I either use a pink pearl eraser or 4/0 steel wool to remove the excess black and wind up with an antiqued finish. If I just want to darken my engraving, but leave the top of the silver bright I use either black paint or 'Grobet Background Antique" for this. Good luck.
Stewart

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Blackening Argentium Silver

Hello, I was just wondering what everyone uses to blacken silver, and or what is the process. Has anyone tried it on argentum silver. That most recent posted braclett was "oxidized", and have no clue how to do this. Thanks, seth

The Argentium silver blackens the best with the acidic commercial products for antiquing such as Griffith Silver Black or Midas Black Max. The traditional liver of sulfur doesn't work as fast nor as well with the Argentium Silver probably because of the germanium that is part of the alloy.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use cold blue solution on brass and silver but I've never tried it on argentium. I have a scrap piece in the shop that I'll try it out on for you tomorrow and I'll update this post with the results. I use Brownells Oxpo cold blue by the way. Makes a nice deep flat black.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the hand guys. I will order some of that stuff and give'er a try. Thanks a bunch, Seth

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Eastslope, to make silver black I use thinned chlorine, the big bottles you use for disinfect the toilet etc.
It makes white stains on your clothing.
For the parts you don't want them to become black, I use nail polish, the colour is not important :D

arnaud