Cirelli grind for mounting flat gravers in the Dual Angle fixture

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I always had a problem with flats in the dual angle sharpening fixture. They would never go in the same way once they were taken out. I'm sure others had the same problem. Well here's the fix. Grind two nice even 30's on top of the graver. I ground the top by inserting the graver and holding it at the tang. 45 was 0, 15 and 75 gave me the 30 degrees on each side. As you can see the 30 degrees on each side fits perfectly into the fixture. It goes in the same every time. No need to resurface the belly every time.

Now if GRS applies this to the flats when purchased it would save about 15 minutes of grinding.

DJ if you use this idea I'll be waiting for no "expect" a handful of these gravers:)

Hope this is of some use to others.

Attachments

• dual angle with flat.jpg
    dual angle with flat.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 326
  • ground top flat.jpg
    ground top flat.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 310

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mike, that's very clever, and certainly seems to solve the problem of orienting flat gravers in the Dual Angle fixture. I'm definitely going to try this. / ~Sam
p.s. I'm adding your post to the Tips Archive

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mike,
This is really a great idea and will save considerable time in sharpening, but do you think that it would work on a QC-45 or QC-41 flat graver (which is of course much wider) which I use in Western Engraving. You might have to put some bevels on the bottom of the graver as well.

Les Schowe

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Good Idea, Mike.
Two other easy fixes for resharpening flats.
For a Dual Angle, solder/ epoxy a short piece of 3/32 inch square brass tube over the tang.
Easiest of all and not much $..... just add a GRS Standard Graver Fixture head only, to your tool pile.
It uses the post you already have and and on 90's and flats is much faster to set up for a quick touch-up sharpening.
They just just click-click into the fixture with no pain.
Just my way of doing it 'cause I'm lazy and time is money.

Hi Les, it works for flats set up for QC. Just rest the flat top and bottom between the spring jaws.
And for 90's between the grooves.

Best, John B.

Last edited:

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
I thought you would know this. GRS has a collet that the qc fits into which has a v on the bottom of it. You put the collet into the sharpening fixture and it will line up the same every time. I don't know the part number though. The problem with the collet comes with a tappered sides flat graver, all you have to do is flatten both sides of the tang of the graver so it is no longer tapered but paralell. then it will line up the same every time.
Rick

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, of course this solve a lot of sharpening problems.

I had another tread about this for the "old" 120° engravers, they also didn't fit in the dual angle.
http://www.igraver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3879

So I learned that you need one 45° angel to fit in the dual angle sharpening tool.

At the Alexandre tool shop that is run by an employer of the Alexandre school, they sold me some old 120° angle engravers, but they didn't know about the new ones.

So I'm sure GRS knows the problem but they probably want to get rid of the old ones.

I bought me a blank square carbide engraver that resided to a 120°, the carbide is splendid to work with, sometimes I take my loupe to see if it is still sharpened enough, but it stays sharp for a long time.

So I was wandering now, of course it takes a while to make a flat engraver from a square carbide, but if done well, you have no problem to fit the engraver in the dual angle tool. sure it takes some time and I also would like GRS to make them for me, as long as they keep an 90° angle on it tho fit in the dual angle tool.

arnaud

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rick I think I get what your talking about. Your saying square off the tang and then hold it in the holder by the tang? If you put the grind on top of the graver you don't have to remove the graver from the QC holder. You just stick it in the fixture like you would a square graver.

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Mike,
You have to use the GRS collet, which fits in the sharpening fixture.
That is a very good idea to sharpen the top of your graver, sometimes its the simple fixes that work the best.
Rick

GRS collet

Here are some pics of the GRS fixture Rick is talking about.

Robbie

Attachments

• GRS collet 001.jpg
    GRS collet 001.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 147
  • GRS collet 002.jpg
    GRS collet 002.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 132
  • GRS collet 003.jpg
    GRS collet 003.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 135

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok I see how the collet works now. If you use the collet you can never move the graver from the QC once it's sharpened. Well you could but most likely it wouldn't be exactly in the same spot when put back. If the top of the graver is ground it will always be true.

Latest posts

Sponsors