Inlay question

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Through a round about way, I have ended up trading an engraved inlay (3/4" x 1 1/2") for $1000 worth of much needed auto repair (new clutch etc.). I intend to do the oval in Argentium with a 24K pheasant in the center. I have the metal and am a jeweler. Is there a reason to not solder the gold pheasant into the Argentium prior to doing the inlay?
The area is relieved but the burrs are not yet raised. The piece is an over/under 20ga that was started and not finished before the man passed away. His widow wants to trade the shotgun to our mutual mechanic, for her auto work, and he wants me to finish the inlay, for my work. We haven't discussed more engraving, but if this works out, I am sure there will be cash jobs. This also will be my first inlay. I can do the engraving portion easily.
Will

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Will, it all rather depends on what the inlay goes into. The reason inlays aren't soldered into guns are mainly to do with heat. During the case hardening process any solder used would run and the inlay would fall out. Likewise with barrels; these are usually tinned together and if you go applying heat to them willy nilly you'll end up with two tubes and a couple of ribs!

So, if heat isn't an intrinsic part of making something work (or not) then go ahead and solder. The belt buckle guys do it all the time it seems.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Marcus,
I had thought that to be the case. I make buckles, bracelets etc. all the time. I won't be applying any heat to the shotgun. I just wasn't sure if there was an intrinsic reason to do the inlay in two pieces instead of one piece soldered together. The soldering together would also ensure that they were annealed.
Will

Latest posts

Sponsors