Dumb question

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
I know you guys say there is no such thing as a dumb question but I think this one is. I am going to ask anyway.
As you know I use the hammer and chisel. As I am cutting a little curl of metal comes off the metal and somethimes becomes a spring that is 4 or 5 curls long. It blocks my view of the line I am cutting. I don't know if this happens when using other methods or if I am sharpening wrong or what but I keep getting off the line because of it and then my line is not smooth. Is there a way to sharpen that makes the graver have a chip breaker or something? If I lift the chip out then my line is not smooth either. Is this something I just need to learn to work around. Mack
By the way. I have learned not to use your finger to remove them. Prickly little things arent they.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mack and Arnaud,

Getting an even curling chip as you engrave is a sign that your graver is well sharpened and you are making a nice even cut. H&C or power doesn't matter. The chip can obscure your line but you will learn to deal with it. As I have mentioned here before, as you cut don't focus on the tip of your graver (where the chip is). Keep your focus on where you are going and your hand/eye coordination will take care of the rest. Think of it like driving a car. You don't look at the road in front of the hood do you? You keep your eye down the road where you are going. It is something you will get used to after a while but the chip can be an annoyance at times.

Along that line of thought, most beginners start out trying to engrave too deeply thus a big, heavy chip. This deep cutting is appropriate for flare cutting or large work like Nimschke scroll on the side of a '66 Winchester but not much else and is not a good way to learn. Try making really fine cuts that are well tapered and formed then work on heavy cuts once you can do the fine ones.

CRB

Bob Bullard

Elite Cafe Member
I have the same trouble but I have found that I can focus ahead of my chisel on the line
and not focus on the chisel it doesn't bother me as much and my cuts are smoother (no elbows and
straighter) if i don't focus on the point as much but where I want it to go
Bob

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mack and Bob,

As a last sharpening touch, stand you graver upright 90 degrees or purpendicular on a very fine stone (ruby) and make a "W" pattern very lightly. This will put a flat facet right on the tip, but very small. The chip will rise straight up. It doesn't entirely solve the problem, but it helps a bit. Give it a try.

I didn't learn this one until about twenty years into my career. Try it you'll like it!!

It also strengthens the point for harder metals.

Ron S

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mack, the good news about the curl shows you are doing a lot right.
Sharpening and keeping a smooth and steady hand and having the graver properly upright while cutting produces the long curl.
Getting the curl to move out of the way is very simple.
Just twist the graver a couple of degrees in its long axis while you are cutting to get the chip to move to the inside or outside of your line.
Just practice a straight line and give a slight twist to the graver one way and the other as the cut is under way and you will find that you can move the curl any where you want to the side without making a wide spot in your line.
Not enough to flair the cut, a couple of degrees will do it.
And like Roger said, look just ahead of the graver point.
Best of luck, keep 'er going. John B.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the tip Roger, I already know about driving a car, it is like if you make a slide by frost weather, don't look at the trees beside the road, because your car is going where you are looking at. :eek:

arnaud

Sponsors