Dick Boucher

eisman

You know, I found this site while trying to find some info on Dick. I knew he worked with Paul Dressel but couldn't get a response from WA. I can remember him and Angelo Bee trying to explain to Frank Pachmayr the pros and cons of a Parker Frank was "upgrading".

I don't do engraving. I was, and maybe will be again, a gunsmith. I kept a few basic tools of the engraving trade around, mainly to clean up screw heads and stuff. But I've been lucky enough to meet some really true craftsmen over the years.

I was up in Reno one year (back around '89) when I ran into Richard at a booth. I don't remember who's, but the subject of the discussion was a "Safari" type rifle. He started his tale with a discription of the customer and the gun, the main focus of which was to be the trophy Ram the hunter had taken the year before. The initial plans for the scroll work passed with barely a comment, the inlays approved enthusiastically, but that darn sheep...

It seem the hunter had noticed one redeeming feature overall, and was bound and determined to have a "realistic" impression of his trophy done for all the world to see. As Dick explained it, after three tries at making it right, the final (approved) version had gonads the size of cantalopes. The critter could never have walked, let alone climbed mountains, with such a handicap, but the customer was happy.

To this day I look close at every engraved Dall Ram I see.

If any of you have time and inclination to engrave some scroll on a nice knife (or two), drop me a line. No sheep involved...

Latest posts

Sponsors