Inlay pic

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
I did this inlay yesterday and blued it last night. It's the first time I've done an inlay with varying line width's. I used a 90 to cut the lines and ground a tiny little undercut tool from a John B. little graver. The "R" is .300" tall and I used 26 and 29 gauge wire. Please feel free to comment or critique.

David

Attachments

• Remy.jpg
    Remy.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 283

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
What's with all this inlay business suddenly?

hahaha.

VERY nice work, varying line width, AND a curved surface! Well done.

Tom

JCP

Makes me sick, well that is when I look at my work after looking at yours.

That is really beautiful work. Hope I can get there someday.

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you very, very much guys. I'm never quite satisfied with any of my work but this one comes awfully dang close. Also, I forgot to mention that it got the same treatment on the other side of the barrel.
Thanks again.

David

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi David, very nicely done I must say. The barrel in your picture looks blued, was this done after the inlay work? I trust it was otherwise I'd love to know your technique for not touching the blue!

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks again to all of you.

Marcus, I blued it afterward with Mark Lee's Express Blue solution. Although, I did do a repair of some gold lettering on a blued gun a few months ago. It was block style letters and the leg of an "R" had popped out. I cleaned up the under cut and once the gold was in, used a razor blade to trim it down flush. It worked well but was very time consuming. The customer was very pleased that he didn't have to have the whole gun re-blued.

David

Latest posts

Sponsors