A rookie question ?

Mike C

As I watch the videos of accomplished engravers like Sam and Steve Lindsey I have noted that they complete their cuts with what I would describe as a flicking motion to clear the chip or burr. Is there a way that motion can be described in words? My beginner attempts all generally result in a skid mark across the piece at the end of the cut, especially when the cut isn't intersecting another cut.

For reference my practice plates have been on a red brass material with a trade name Nu Gold, 1/2 hard in temper. An example of one of my feeble attempts.

Thank you for any help you might offer.

Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Mike. Don't worry, you're not alone! Engravers that have been doing it for years make it look so simple, but for the inexperienced chip-flicker it can be maddening to get the hang of. The motion is hard to describe, but it's a wrist action that pops the graver out of the metal quickly at the end of a cut. This makes for a nice blunt end to a cut. Do it incorrectly and you'll get a slip or taper. What I can tell you is that one day it'll just happen without you being aware of it, and when you DO discover that you've been doing it awhile, you'll get a smile and chuckle. Your cutting appears to be very clean and uniform, by the way. Good!

I might add that chip flicking with chisel and hammer is a different animal altogether. One way is break out of the cut quickly as you would a hand graver, and the other way is a combination of hammer tap and break out. Seems impossible, but it happens!

~Sam

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Mike, The flicking happens as the graver exits the cut. It is actually the wrist dropping which forces the tip of the tool to come rapidly to the surface and "pop" out of the cut taking the burr with it. It isn't used at the end of every cut - for instance - if you are intersecting a previous cut the graver will just enter the cut gently without damaging the opposite side. In that case you don't need to pop. English scroll, on the other hand, has popping with almost every cut. You can hear the "ping, ping, ping" with every cut. :)

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Hmmm. Like learning to ride a bike? Suddenly I'll 'just know how'?

It's surprising how many of this kind of situations you run across in engraving. It's not one of those things, I find, that you can just watch it being done, and then you know how...... It's more like you must intuitively learn how it works.

Good question. Tough to answer.

Tom

Mike C

:D By George I think I've Got It.

Thanks to all for the input. I was trying to just pop the the chip out by lifting straight up on the graver. Dropping the wrist did the trick. It seems elementary now but I couldn't see forest for the trees.

Like everything else I need lots of practice for it to become second nature but I can make it happen now.

Thanks again, one more piece falls into place for me.

BTW any criticism on the practice plate would be welcomed.

Mike

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another tip.

If you have a thumb,......HeeheeHee....... place and press the thumb on the work and raise the graver with the fingers. You should hear a distinct ping or click when it is done right. Most often a click on solid artcles, and a ping on large thin ones.

I can't do it that way anymore, so I have to do it another way, but it is not much of a movement, pretty subtle except on deep cuts. You also don't use power for this. You stop the cut and the power, and then remove the chip..........................Ping

Ron S