Transfer

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From the Schmidt tutorial
1. Print the image desired onto Epson InkJet transparency sheets.
2 Trim the printed transparency to “fitâ€￾ the metal plate.
3. Place the transparency, with the image side down (ie, facing the metal plate), upon the metal plate.
4. Apply the isopropanol/Dammar varnish solution to the surface of the transparency sheet, as if lightly burnishing

OK let me get this straight. You print on the transparency and then place it on the metal and then apply the solution to the back of the transparency. How does that work? Does the solution go through a plastic sheet?

Mack you indeed on the transparency, on the smooth side.
On the work surface, you put some of the zippo/damar solution, let it dry.
Then you transfer the ink, face down and printed in reverse, on the solution and lightly burnish.

If you use a inkjetprinter it is important to have the right transparency sheets, also the printer inkt (only black) is important.

I print with an old laserjet printer on cheap transparency sheets, and this works excellent for me.

The best transparency sheets are the ones from Epson, but I don't have them yet although I ordered them.

I still try to all this with an Inklet printer, because of the high resolution this printer can print.

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mack

As the others have said, the acetone trick is for laser printed images - acetone penetrates the paper and dissolves the binder for the toner.

For an inkjet you rely on something sticky on the surface to pull the ink off of the page. You put the transfer solution on the metal and let it dry to a nice tacky surface. Then you take your printout that was printed on something the ink can't sink into (transparency, baking parchment) and put it face down over the tacky transfer solution. The transfer solution gets a better hold on the ink then what you printed it onto so it steals it away.

I thought you had a laser printer so I gave you those instructions - Sorry!

For an inkjet I think the cheapest system is to use the damar / naptha solution on the metal and print on baker's parchment (that's cheaper than transparancies).

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys very much
KCSteve, heck there is nothing to be sorry for. I really appreciate all the help I get here.
So anyway I guess that is a mistake in the tutoral by Schmidt on how to put the transfer on with a transparency? Or am I just reading it wrong.

Latest posts

Sponsors