5 new engraving video's with Tutorial

norsksea

Here are 5 new videos of the initial cutting of a S.R. Johnson knife with Steve Lindsay giving a tutorial as he cuts. The end of video 4 of 5 shows cuts in a very tight place.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=1birdflu&view=videos
These video's are facinating to watch because they are being done on an expense knife and not a practice plate. These could have been sold on a DVD but are free on youtube.
Frank

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What I would have given for something like this to watch a couple years ago...

What I like best about them is that he is talking about his thoughts at the time so you can get an idea of the thought process behind why he does things the way he did them on this particular project. As a beginner, I always wondered about things like what he talks about in this video in places such as why he is cutting a certain line in a different direction or how to straighten out a less than flowing line.

When you watch people cut in video or over the shoulder, they are often quiet and just cut like they always do and don't have the presence of mind at the time to explain what they are doing or why. This type of commentary helps train the newbie on things to look out for so his mindset can be more like that of an experienced engraver. That way you start from the get go, learning to get your mind pointed in the right direction along with your hands and tools rather than guessing your way through those learning curves.

These are the same reasons I like Lyntons videos and Don Glaser's. I remember in one of Mr. Glaser's he talks about cutting letters is not like writing them and he spoke of places where you stop short a line rather than connecting them as your mind will complete the line itself. If you didn't hear or see that explained you most likely would never know that just by trying to cut your lettering the same way you write it and never having it come out just right.

Pearls of knowledge... that's what these forums are full of and I'm mighty greatful for them, the people who own and run them and for all those who so unselfishly give those pearls away. It's a wonderful time to want to learn engraving, we've never been richer.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Indeed priceless information and very good for people who cant just take a cours in engraving somewhere.
These 5 and the other 8 are the best insight of high end engraving.
Thanks so much Steve! :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Another example of why there's never been a better time to become an engraver. Free videos via the internet, forums, and a flow of information that used to be highly classified top secret. It's all there for the taking.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It was around midnight the other night when I came across this and spent the next two hours watching, studying and watching again! Wouldn't it be great if some of the Masters on the forum did a DVD of a complicated project so the rest of us could study and learn? Just don't make the price too high.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Have you guys checked Steves uploads lately :eek:
Input overload!!!

SURE have. It is an absolute pleasure to see them.

I've admired many of the knives Steve engraved for years. His site was one of the first I found when I searched for engraving information on-line. Masterengraver.com was another:D, as well as Engravingarts.com.

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Lindsay and I may have been some of the firsts to come online with engraving sites. When my site first went online in 1996 there were no other engraving sites I could find using the not-particularly-good search engines of the day.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I agree that the secrets of engraving are now available for everyone. But I'm sure that craftsmanship can't be successful unless there are enough of them. So I think we all work on the succes of engraving.
In the old days we would have the "guilds" they also were sharing theirs skills if you became part of it, these days these guilds don't exist any more, but the Internet is a good alternative for the guilds.
And no one is able to fulfil the need of all the engravings in the world, so sure we are stronger if we work together. Sure the master engravers didn't have the those privileges when they started and it is thanks to them that they are willing to share their experience with the novices that engraving stays alive.

As I'm a goldsmith / stone setter, I also like to share my skills on that as I become older. It is a waste not being able to pass some experience one gathered during lifetime.

I also think the younger people have less knowledge of craftsmanship, materials and all round knowledge of craftsmanship, and if these knowledge disappears, we will all live in a poor culture world.

So long live the Internet as it is a platform for everyone with a message.

Sorry if my English is difficult to understand, I try very hard to explain my point of view in an language that is not mine.

arnaud

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Pearls of knowledge... that's what these forums are full of and I'm mighty greatful for them, the people who own and run them and for all those who so unselfishly give those pearls away. It's a wonderful time to want to learn engraving, we've never been richer.
I don't know, how many people watch out for these "Pearls" and i don't know how many are able to implement them into their work but i am sure a few of them can do this. I see it when i looked at the work of those who started engraveing just a few months ago. What i mean is, everyone of you can be very proud about sharing knowledge to next generation. As you having said, this is absolute priceless.

norsksea

There are now 63 videos online for this S.R. Johnson knife. Plus the last page has videos of Steve using the PalmControl Airgraver.
Frank

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The information on the web is priceless, I've been admiring Sam's & Steve's websites for a long time, I've been wanting to learn to engrave for 20 yrs but only started engraving over the past two yrs, the knowledge I've gained from their websites and now the forums and online video's have been sooo much help. You still have to put it into practice but we as new comers to the art of engraving are truly blessed to have easy access to all this knowledge. Thanks to the Masters, May God richly bless all of you for your selfless acts of kindness sharing what you've learned over the years. I for one truly appreciate all you've done. I will do my part in passing on what I learn as well, Dwayne

Latest posts

Sponsors