Design for a flat silver turtle pendant

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A customer asked me to make two pendants, one for both mother and daughter.
So this is the third paying job on engraving for:) me.

She wants it sawn from a flat plate of silver.
So here is my design, and although the size from top to bottom is only 23mm, I think this must be possible for me to do. :D

I want to have some relief, that is why I shade the outer part with 3 lines, the second with 2 line etc.

I know in the design the relief can be better, so I understand that the shading is very important to have the suggestion of relief.

Any comments are welcome. Tuesday I' start on these, show you the final engraved result, unless :eek:

Arnaud

Attachments

• turtle.jpg
    turtle.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 265

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks great!

One way you might want to add more depth is by actually adding a bit of depth - use a flat to shave the sides of the plates just a bit - basically just widening the cuts. Just a hint of sculpting.

I'd try it on a practice plate first, of course.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, good point, I do this as a goldsmith a bith different with a file, but the result will be the same

arnaud

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did something very similar to this for a pendant, the only difference being that I made the shell design on the back in the shape of the ladies monogram, or rather her 3 initials since they were not really intertwined. You might think about that for this projects. I bet they would love it.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
turtle trade silver

Here in the States silver turtle tokens, beaver tokens and kissing otters were used in colonial times to trade with the native people- they often found there way on to shirts and dresses necklesses and ear wear. Firs were purchased for so many turtles or beavers or otters. Fred
P.S. tried to post pic but couldnt get it to size right-sorry

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Finished

I finished the engraving of the two turtle pendants.
It was a good exercise for me especial the control on the shading lines.

Although it could be done better, my client is very satisfied. I did more work than the prize that was paid, but I don't bother me because I was paid for learning and the pendants are at least original and hand crafted.

It was also the first time I did some engraving on silver, and indeed it is so soft you can hardly touch it with the engraver. Especially starting a very thin shadow line.

Any comments are welcome

arnaud

Attachments

• _DSC5500 copy.jpg
    _DSC5500 copy.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 104

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, it took me two ours for the engraving, most time took the schading. The main lines was done in less than 15 minutes, and it looked fine also. :)
The sawing and filing 10 minutes.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
HAHAHAHA, Tom, Thank you for the compliment, also for me it could have taken a whole day, but I will try it once more and taking more time when I have the time.:D

The mechanical part is a good idea, but only worth the work when done in gold.

For now I must make some money because St Nicolas has ordered some things.

I charge my client 2X50 euro for this work, I think that is fair enough for a novice. :D

Arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That came out very well - you certainly got the 3D look you wanted. Even knowing you were doing a flat pendant it looks like you should have included a side view to show how the back is domed.

Latest posts

Sponsors