Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work Steve. Many of the oldtime gun engravers were also die and plate engravers. What type of tool steel do you usually use for a die and how does it cut? Thanks for doing the interview.
    A question/request for Sam. Would it be possible to get a picture of each person interviewed so we could put a face with the name and work?
    Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

Kerry,
    S7, A2, and O1 are good tool steels to use for dies and all engrave and machine relatively easy ( for steel that is ), but I don't suggest D2 or high chrome content steels because of their toughness for hand work.

Post Thanks / Like

Steven,

It is amazing how much detail you achieved in such a small space. Keep us posted with your future creations.
    Keep up the good work.

JJ Roberts
    Manassas, VA

Post Thanks / Like

As usual, your work is beyond description. It is always a treat to view your latest work. I want you to know that the information that you provided me with when I first started carving coins was invaluable to me and that I am still absorbing most of it.
    I feel privilaged that the people on this forum are helpful and free with sharing their hard learned information.
    Thanks Sam for gathering all of these good folks together to share their knowledge. and thanks again to Steve, JC, Bill Zack , Cerelli and all of the other great people that are willing to share their skills and artwork.
    Your friend,
    Shamey
    P.S. There were some good hatches on Spring creek this year!

Post Thanks / Like

You don't get the full effect unless you are holding one in your hand. I was WOW'd when I got to see
    his carvings at the F.U.N. Show, they were the first Hobos I had seen up close- besides my own- and I was simply AMAZED! His work is very inspirational.

Post Thanks / Like

To All Coin Carvers,

I really admire what you all are doing, but wondered if any of you have ever met a real hobo? While visiting
    my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins up in Shelby, Ohio around 1946 we were sitting around Grandma's kitchen having lunch and suddenly where was a knock at the back door. Grandma opened the door and there was a man standing there..he wanted somthing to eat, and was willing to do some chores.
    Grandma said, " I have nothing for you sir", but you are welcome to join us for lunch." He came in took off his
    hat and sat down and had lunch with us. Hobos would carry white chalk..they would mark sidewalks and telephone polls with their own graffiti that only they could understand..they knew exactly where they could get some chores to do and a meal, and passing this information on. Back then they were called hobos, and now they are homeless. I wonder if there are anyone riding the rails today?

Yours truly,
    JJ Roberts
    Manassas, VA

Post Thanks / Like

We had two 'hobos' that hung around our town when I was growing up. One was Delos Nobles and the other was Scaley Red. I guess they knew each other but they didn't travel together. They carried hobo sticks and wore big hats and everyone knew them around town. They would often disappear for months at a time and then we'd see one or the other of them back walking on the streets.
    I was very young but I remember that most people in the neighborhood would leave their shed doors open or their workshops open so that they could sleep inside.
    I should find some photos of them somewhere.....Maybe Sam could do a nickel.....hmmmmmmm