Knife Drawing

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mack for the kind words. All are appreciated. I will get there eventually, because of my determination. I know I can do it. It will just take time and that is what I am doing right now. is giving it all the time I possible can in order to prefect it.
Thanks for your post.
Carl

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
This is my latest doodling. Each time I change it I like it better. So thanks for all your suggestions. I will eventually get to where I want to be with this drawing and your help.
Be sure and tell me your thoughts on this drawing.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
CRW,
I'm liking that, and you are onto something now. I would however turn the large leaf mass (last leaf) over (flip it) so it seems to come from the original leaf in a flowing manner. There is a little to much weight toward the bottom of the design and no background or negative space here. I suggested that you black in the drawing before, because this will expose these problems.

There also is another rule of design that has to do with the power of three (triangulation). Triangulation is a balancing and structural rule that will give the drawing more strength and minumize boredome. Odd numbers tend to help spacing and composition. Even numbers tend to stagnate the design slightly and cause boredome.

Do you have my book? I talk about focal points that would apply here and let me ask the other guys if they don't relate to the two large leaf masses quicker than they do the smaller leaves so it isn't just my opinion, but a group awareness (maybe it is just me). It is a natural human tendency, and you have this awareness in you when you learn to use it. Every human being does, but you have to develope it and this is what you are doing.

I think a three (large) leaf composition would be better and maybe cut the mass of the leaves down a bit with smaller leaves as fill-in and space corrections.

Flow:

The flow of the design is good, but could be better. By flipping the leaf on the right over to oppose the other leaf would increase the flow of the design and balance the eye's tendency to stop it's travel over the compostion. Does this make any sense?

I will say this. It does sort of center the eye on the leaves in the center, and the eye doesn't want to move from that central focus. If you had an animal head in the center of the design, the way you have it laid out would draw attention to it, but since it is just floral and no subject, I would recommend flipping the last leaf.

Sorry this took so long, but I like to tell why to do it, not just what to do.

One other thing:

You can break mass up with what I call power lines which encourage flow. In other words, put division lines or seperations in the leaf structures. This will increase the power of flow of the design.

You are going to have a thousand dollar knife by the time you get this the way you want it, huh?...HeeHeeHee

Hope this helps.

Ron S

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Ron
Thanks so much for your advise. I have drawn the leaf upside down from what it was. I am not sure it works better or not, please tell me what you think. Speaking of your eye following a drawing, now when I look at it my eye goes instantly to the left side of the right leaf, it may be due to the darker shading.
You are right in saying this is going to be an expensive knife. I'll tell you one thing it is worth a lot to me, and I would never get rid of it because of the learning experience. I still see as I am sure you do to, several things that needs tweaking.
No I don't have your book yet, but my wife said today that she was going to order it tomorrow for me for Christmas. She plans to order from GRS, will they have it? Or can she order it from you?
Thank you so much for giving me a little boost in this project. It is very considerate of you.
Carl Wallace

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Hello to all.
I am enjoying this thread so much, and it is helping me just as much. Don't let this thread die. I will check back this afternoon and hopefully there will be some replies.
Thanks
Carl

JT Kinney

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Carl,
I do the same thing when I have any appointments. I usually get about 2 hours of drawing time with my VA appointments. VA is just like being the Army Hurry up, and wait.
Very Nice design, can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks, JT

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
CRW,

I'm sorry, I can't show you a drawing, I haven't figured out how to do that yet and get it into an attachment. I don't have a scanner on this laptop. Tried to hook one up but it didn't work.

You are right: the tonal value is what is attracting the eye, but you can even things out with your end result or drawing. Bring a stem from your first large leaf and make it the stem for the large leaf on the right. It would then be two elongated spirals for basic structure. Then fill in and balance leaves and background spaces around that.
The leaf leading away from your first large leaf is indicating the direction of the design. Encourage that with the stem leading to the other leaf on the right. The confusion of the design is the direction of opposing concepts. Understand?

Wish I could show you a drawing, but........................

Also try blackening in the background as I explained before. That will reveal some obvious flaws that you might not see otherwise i.e. enemic stems, balance of components, rythum, and mass or volume of components. I think when you get my book will clear up some of these structural elements.

Good luck!!

Ron S

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl, looks good to me but I'm working on a design for a first knife myself, so can't help you with this.
But I learn also from what others have to say about it.

arnaud

Sponsors