Looking for an economical sharpening fixture

JCP

I'm thinking about getting graver sharpening fixture. I'm just an amature engraving for the fun of it. I am presently sharpening my gravers on Spyderco stones using Lyntom Mckenzie's method which works great but I don't do it enough do be consistent. Each time I sharpen my graver I have to be careful to see how it will cut (this time). I would like to get a fixture that will do the job but not break the bank. I don't have a lot to spend for it right now but would rather spend to much and get something that will work rather than something cheap that won't.

I appreciate your advice

Jack

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve Lindsay makes a darn fine system that's not too expensive, especially if you use your own stones. It's a template based system so you can start with just one or two templates.

It lacks the flexibility of the GRS Dual-Angle fixture, but then again, it's harder to screw up with.

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Jack,
I'm fairly new to engraving myself but have been a jeweler using gravers for some years. I used to just sharpen by hand w a diamond plate and then polish the heel w some 4/0 polishing paper, which worked fine for stone setting but now that I'm engraving I was told the GRS dual angle sharpening fixture was the best. I recently purchased one and now I can put a perfect angle on my tool edge; it's well worth the extra money in my book.
Jeff

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jack
I would recomend the Lindsay hand sharpening system ,you can use the Spyderco stones if you dont want to buy the diamond ones.At least for HSS. I use the extra fine spyderco to polish. Give Steve a call or email great guy to work with.

Paddlefoot

I have the Lindsay system and really like it. You can get some of the variations in angles needed to accomodate style and material just by varying the amount the graver protrudes through the jig. Very simple.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use both lindsay & grs. both are very good. the lindsay however, requires that you buy a different angle template for each specific geometry that you want. the geometry is specific to his "patented" tool point geometry. sounds intimidating, but is probably the simplest of all the systems to use. very repeatable grinds, but doesn't allow for anything other than his specific geometry--- which is very good.
one thing i like about the grs is the fact that i can do rough grinding using junk cd disks or plexiglass disks charged with valve grinding compound or different grades of carbide grit powder. saves wearing down the pricey diamond hone.

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Jack,
I use the GRS Dual angle and really like it
if you go this way, when you call GRS ask if they might have a reconditioned one...that is what i bought and it saved me some money and works fine
Dave

JCP

Thanks for the help everyone.

After reading your advise and watching Sam's video on graver sharpening I ordered the GRS dual angle fixture. It should be here monday.

Thanks again

Jack