question about inlay

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This may seem like a silly question, but I'm curious about the definition of inlay. Sometimes things are defined not just by the end result, but by the process used to achieve that end result. I have seen several posts in which wire solder is used as the inlay material. The wire solder is pounded into a line engraving. The line engraving has had channels cut in the bottom at an angle and the bottom surface of the line roughed up with metal spikes sticking up. Why not just melt the solder? This of course would not be practical with a gun, but if you melt the solder into the line engraving instead of pounding it in, can you still present this as inlay? thanks
diane

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
I believe most inlay work done in the engraving world is usually very soft annealed 24k gold or pure silver. You can probably inlay most carrated gold but 24k is the softest and most malleable. I think trying to flow solder would be a nightmare because youd have to heat the piece close to the solder flow temp.
Jeff

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
You can flow solder in the cuts. It doesn't shine like silver. There are bit and spur makers that flow silver in the cuts. I have used that method with copper and it comes out fine.
Rod

monk

Staff member
THIS MIGHT WORK ON SOME THINGS, BUT ON ANYT THING HEAT SENSITIVE, I'D BE VERY CAUTIOUS- ESP ON GUN PARTS. heat applied like this, can cause parts to lose critical dimension. can create chaos when it's time to fit things back together !

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
Jeff, Rod and Monk
Thank you for your feedback. You have answered my question. I have just started engraving after a class at GRS. My background is in jewelry so I'm always heating metal (copper, silver,brass, some gold) soldering and pickling it,. I've never worked in steel and am curious about what can be done with it. I'm seeing steel used more and more in jewelry now - its really beautiful. Thank you monk for the heads up about the way heat affects and can change critical dimensions. That had not occurred to me. The only moving parts I've dealt with in jewelry are hinges. Thanks for taking your time to post answers.
Diane

Latest posts

Sponsors