Crossed Ribbon Border

banjo_art

I really like the new "crossed ribbon" tip Sam posted. In looking through the photos, the last one with the final shading appears to have a lot more contrast than the one above it. Especially the main line cuts which have a lot of "sparkle" in the next to last image. Is this just a photographic lighting artifact or was some black paint etc used in that last image?

--Art

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Art: I blackend the finished ribbon.
Glad you liked the tutorial. / ~Sam

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
What, if any, connection from one to the next crossover would there be? If not a connection, what spacing would there be?

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Glenn: I'm not sure I understand your question.
p.s. I replied to your email but it bounced. I messaged you here.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
If you are doing a boarder with the crossover, when you get one crossover done and go on to the next do you leave a space between them or is there something else engraved between each crossover?

Sam

Staff member
Oh, ok...I've never connected multiples. Let me see what I can come up with.

Sam

Staff member
Here's an example of how you could do multiple crossed ribbons, either overlapping or end-to-end. I didn't engrave this...it's a photomanipulation of the finished ribbon from the tutorial, but it would be relative simple to do. I'd start by engraving the two borders, then engrave one ribbon outline (no shading) and then transfer it as needed. Shading is the last step. A small flower might look good between each ribbon. I hope this helps. / ~Sam

piper

Started crossed ribbon with leaves...need advise

Hello Sam,

Admittedly not very often in the forum and hope to be forgiven, but I still have taken a like to your crossed ribbon tutorial and now for the dumbest question of the day.

I want to border an oval plate and put a crossed ribbon at the bottom and top and go with the leaves down and up to the middle points on the sides of the oval. But what the heck will I do when the two leaves meet in the middle and are pointing at each other. I can't think of anything to do at this point except placing some other decoration in at that position, certainly can't use another crossed ribbon...or? Did I miss some good solution in my forum search? Thanks for the patience and help if you are able to take the time for me even though I'm not that often in the forum.
Thanks!
Andrew