A new coin

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
There are many young girls who are pure Indian blood that live here in this fishing village. They are quite shy and will not pose for a photo. This girl comes to an English class that Franca teaches, her name is Rosa Ixthzele. This coin was difficult for me to engrave because her skin is a milk chocolate color and I am accustomed to Caucasian facial structure and features. I gave it my best effort but, when I showed her the coin she was not happy with the results.

Attachments

• Rosa best.JPG
    Rosa best.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 177

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph,

Rosa's reaction to your engraving is no reflection on your work. It has been my observation over many years that women, in general, are never completely satisfied with any likeness of themselves.

CRB

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
How right you are. When we take family pictures they all say "oh no look at me I was looking dumb or that makes my arms look fat" or something. Whereas the guys will say, I look pretty cool in that hat don't I ( Or hey look at my socks. LOL

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
There are exception,thanks guys for the moral support

This is a passage from my memoirs,A Gifted Man.
Only one woman was interested in a portrait but she had no money,
I settled the price of the sketch at one Coke and a bag of peanuts.
I began roughing out the shape of the woman’s head and the volume of her
hair, noting the details of her face. It was then that I noticed she had a badly cleft
lip. As I sketched it, I minimized the deformity. Once the drawing was completed
and before I gave it to her, I checked it over once again. It was only then
that I noticed that one of her eyes was way out of alignment. Then I looked at her
face again. This time I saw her as a whole object rather than form and shadow. It
was not until that moment that I saw she had a distorted head. She was very
happy with the sketch and asked me to sign it, which I did. She took the drawing
looked intently at it, cooed, then said, “You’re just the sweetest fella I ever did
meet.â€￾

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A tip from the photography world:

People are accustomed to the way their face looks in the mirror so when you show them a picture of themselves have them look at it in a mirror. In photography you can flip the image to show them the mirrored version.

The best way to do it is to explain to them that they only see themselves in the mirror so they need to look at the picture of themselves in a mirror as well to be able to see if it looks right or not.

Latest posts

Sponsors