Meek's transfer method

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I keep reading about Mike Cerrelli's transfer method in several threads, and although I've never tried it, to me it seemed to be a very time consuming and complicated way of transferring patterns. Does anyone use the copy machine method described in Meek's video? All you need is access to an old style copy machine (ink jets and laser prints don't work) The original can be drawn or printed on clear acetate so it can be printed positive or negative - or both if you need a book-matched set. The Xeroxed copy is laid on the metal and just dabbed with a cloth dampened with acetone. It works great, and doesn't rub off easily.

The only tricky part is the amount of acetone on the cloth. If it's too wet, the pattern will run, and not enough will not transfer the ink. Just make several copies, so you can do it many times if necessary to get proper placement and complete transfer. The cool thing about the copy machine is the reducing feature. I draw my coin patterns about 4 times the size of the actual engraving and reduce it by 50% two times. Most copy machines will tend to distort the print slightly. If you have to reduce the original design more than once, it's best to orient each successive print 90 degrees from the first one, otherwise, your circle will end up being a slight oval.

This really works great for portraits since you can easily and quickly print a photographic image right on to the metal.

Attachments

• dieTransfer.jpg
    dieTransfer.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 197

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
This is the method I use 90% of the time. I use an inkjet scanner/printer to get the image into the computer and manipulate it, size etc, then print a sheet with several copies, all near the edge, and lastly use an old photo copier to make my working sheet. I mark the original in case I want to use the image again, and file it.
The other 10% I use Tom White's method, when I need to be able to use a transparency to "see" the image and line it up or position it. The photocopier and acetone is about the easiest for overall transfer, and you can make reverse images in the computer to mirror your image for both sides of earrings, and knife blades etc.
Will

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron when I do a laser transfer I use fingernail polish remover instead of straight acetone. This way the image doesn't bleed. Sometimes it seems that the laser doesn't like to transfer on shinny sterling.
One thing that's somewhat of a plus using the damar and zippo fluid or Tom Whites is that you can take advantage of the high res injet printouts.
To me both take about the same time to transfer.

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
Yeah, the photocopy method doesn't stick to shiny surfaces too well either. I thought nail polish remover WAS just acetone. I'll have to try it.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah, the photocopy method doesn't stick to shiny surfaces too well either. I thought nail polish remover WAS just acetone. I'll have to try it.

Nail Polish Remover works much better than acetone, but be sure to buy the cheapest one on the shelf. Look for the bottle with the yellowish colored fluid.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
The only difference between nail polish remover and straight acetone is the purfume and a little oil or lanoline added to the remover.
The lanoline slightly clogs the pores of the paper and stops the acetone from working as fast.
Just try rubbing a finger that has touched some transfer wax on the blank side of your photocopy print if using straight acetone.
Or use the nail polish remover if the purfume reminds you of your sweety! HA HA.
Best, John B.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
In my opinion there are two very important differences between the "acetone" method and the "Mike Cerrelli" method:
1) The "Mike Cerrelli" method seems to be much more permanent and durable than the "acetone" method.
2) With the "Mike Cerrielli" method you can see exactly where you are placing the transfer. Also, if you loose or erase some of the transfer while engraving it is easy to go back and refresh the transfer (I have done this several times).

Les Schowe

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use acetone on the back of a laser printed sheet all the time. Putting some of Mike's damar/naptha solution down first makes the transfer more permanent and, sometimes, lets you get a higher resolution transfer.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nail Polish Remover works much better than acetone, but be sure to buy the cheapest one on the shelf. Look for the bottle with the yellowish colored fluid.

I also use the transfer method using nail remover and a laserjet printed pattern. I bought me 3 different nail removers and only one worked. The difference between the 3 is the one that works has no acetone.

I also use the Cirelli solution with a pattern Laserjet printed on a cheap transparent sheet.
Sometimes I have to burnish hard, and sometimes all the ink transfers without burnishing. Don't know yet why.

Arnaud

Sponsors