More Scroll

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Back again many years with this one, once again sorry for the poor picture quality.

Phil

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Breathtaking ornamental engraving. This kind of work demands a lot of study because of all the intricate details. Superlative shading.

Amazing. Please send me all your talent, skill and years of practice! I can combine that with all my awesome tools to make one excellent engraver!

I had to wait a few minutes to post this so I could type without explitives.... THAT is some INCREDIBLE shading. Just stunning. I am taking Sam's advice and will spend some time studying this.

Please let me know if you ever publish a book with some quality prints of your work.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
This is a great example that shows how much planning and drawing is needed in the creating stage and design process. The final drawing then is so well done that during execution no changes were necessary.
Excellent engraving, Phil!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Michael O,
There is a lot of Phil's great work in the British and Italian gun books.
Try "Gun Engraving" by Christopher Austyn, "The Best of Holland & Holland" from England.
And the Mario Abbiatico and Marco E. Nobili books from Italy.
All of these are available in the USA.
But I'm sure Phil can give you other leads.
The "Double Gun Journal" and "Sporting Arms" often have pictures/articles of his artistry.

Best, John B.

Last edited:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some engravings look incredibly complicated, but if you break it down to sections it is then more understandable.
Start with an area, draw your basic scrolls, add some more, intertwine them, use your imagination, move to the next area, do the same, go back and incorporate the first with this. Before you know it the design will expand and come together.

Phil

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Terrific engraving Phil and your explanation of how to simplify what we see and develop a design is very helpful. As usual Martin your observations are exactly right.

Latest posts

Sponsors