This is a LOT harder than it looks.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
So, I got up this morning at 4:30, my usual, since my back drives me out of bed. Got my coffee and went to the engraving bench, which happes to be a drawer in the desk for my computer which I have strengthened.
I drew a design and was supprised to find that I was doing a little better. It seemed I could sort of feel how the graver was moving both with the hammer and the push graver, and then Yikes, I sliped all the way across the plate. A nice scratch. Well at least I didn't cut myself. I gotta tell ya though I really love this.
Here's the thing though, I seem to do a lot better with the push graver when turning the vise into it. When I go on the straightaway I am like a cow on ice. Any suggestions? I'm not very good with that burnisher either. Oh well, I love it. LOL. Mack

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Mack, it sounds like you may be changing the tool angle without knowing it, like slightly lowering the handle, and the tool is coming up out of the metal; especially as the tool gets father away from you, the natural tendency would be to lower the handle.

When you are at the ball, turning the work into the graver, I'll bet your wrist is locked into the right angle and does not change since you are not extending your arm.

tom

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Mac, I'm in Tavares and if you have time to come over to the jewelry shop I'll help you with sharping of your gravers...
I don't use H&C but, I have power hones...
PM or email...
Jerry

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mack: If you're right handed and holding the graver in your right hand, be sure to keep your left hand below the top of the vise. That's a painful lesson learned, and I've stabbed myself more than once. One time it left my left hand pretty much useless for about 3 days. With pneumatic tools the risk of slipping is greatly reduced, and when you do slip, it's not nearly as dangerous and catastrophic as hand pushing.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Boy do I know that. I tried engraving 20 years ago when I was a jeweler, and too busy to really learn even how to sharpen my gravers properly. I have 5 scars on my left hand from that. two of them are hardly noticible now but three of them almost put me out of work for a while. and have made permanant scars. Got me in the thumb and it is hard to hold a ring and work with it when your thumb is torn up. Had to use the wood clamp. Never liked that thing. I decided then that I needed to wait until I had some help with it. I could raise a bead for stone setting if I had to but I didn't even like doing that. Now I have you'al to help me and I am grateful. Since I got the Crocker sharpener I have done much better. The next thing I am going to buy is your dvd. I saw a place where dvds on engraving can be rented but I do not have a credit card. Don't want one. If I had one I would now own a lot of engraving equipment and that is why I don't own one.. I have to pay as I go and that is not always acceptable. I will just have to figure something out. I have raised six kids and am now raising my granddaughters. Man are they expensive. Anyway, I am not giving up on engraving this time and I am learning to keep my hand out of the way. My gravers my not be perfect but they are sharper than before with a lot better flats. Thanks, Mack

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mack, part of the learning process is learning how few times you can stick yourself........HaHaHa..........Keep that opposite hand below the vise surface and turn the vise into the work. Posture is important here too. Your wrist and hand should be in line in it's natural state. You might have to tilt the vise to accomodate this good posture, but it will help. It is hard to do this if you are using a microscope. That is a whole new concept and all of your work needs to be down much lower, or your chair much higher.

Ramming that blade into a bone hurts like hell. The hand tools take a long time to get control of. I did it for forty years and have many scars. Many have gone away, but some are left and even after all those years, I would still do it every once in a while.

The hand graver is designed to cut light lines.

The materials we have to engrave on these days have changed, and not for the benifit of the engraver.

If you are going to do it by hand, keep your gravers sharp and don't try to push a lot of metal until you gain good control with the lighter lines. Learning it isn't fast and it isn't easy, but it is very gratifying if you can pull it off, knowing you did it with your bare hands.

Hope these ideas help......

Lots of luck!

Ron S

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
JISeymour
send me the address and I will do a mapquest and come and see you, and thanks much. Mack

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
those gravers wont slip nearly as much if you stick them in a fresh potato once in awhile. worx for me !

Latest posts

Sponsors