Looking for a Rotary Tool

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Hi.
I am looking for a good rotary tool, air or electric. I currently am using a Dremel 3500 rpm and it is just not fast enough. I need something in the 300,000 rpm range wither it be electric or air. I have looked at the GRS 850, but it is a little steep on price at this stage of my engraving. If someone knows of a used one or a brand that I could look at, please advise. I have an air compressor that I think will do the job on an air powered.
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks
Carl

Dan Grubaugh

Rotary handpiece

Carl, there is a fella on ebay that sells new and refurbished rotary handpieces. The brand name is Hurricane and they work very well. I have had one for about 10 years now and have had no problems with it and have used it a lot. His ebay name is Sick.j I have not personally done business with him yet, but have contacted him about turbines for the tool and he seemed very professional. If you look back in some previous posts, a fella purchased one from him. His prices are very reasonable. This tool will run in excess of 350,000 rpm and is adjustable to lower speeds. I think it would probably serve your needs very well. I have used mine for everything from steel background removal, ostrich egg carving, glass work and moose antler carving. They are a sweet little tool. They use burrs with a 1/16 inch shaft. Cutting heads can be gotten in many configurations from diamond impregnated, various stones and carbide. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Dan

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Carl I use a electric micro motor and hand piece. It really has a lot of torque also. I cant say ive used the air ones. It can also be used with most burs by different collets. I really like it. A note - if you hit an area your not suppose to there is no burnishing it out. You will have to take a flat and shave the metal flat again. Good luck in your decision.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Some of these air tools use A LOT OF AIR, so check how many cubic feet per minute the tool requires, and see if your compressor can keep up with it.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Carl, I have a micro motor made by Buffalo Dental. It is over 10 yrs old and still runs like a top, top speed is 45,000 rpm. The standard collet is for 3/32" but you can get a second collet from buffalo that will accept 1/8" shank. After all these years of use and abuse, it still runs great with no visible run-out. These can sometimes be had used on ebay for around 200 or so. The torque on these units are fantastic. I do know they have a newer variation but don't know what they sell for. An added plus is that they have been in business since the day of dirt, and will service their products. I also have an air rotor tool but it does not get near the use. So, if I had to choose, it would be the micro-motor for me. Hope this helps.
gailm

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There was a thread on Steve Lindsays forum about a Russian brand that is high speed, similar to the GRS/NSX, that goes for under $100. It was a while back and a few people that bought them said they worked OK.

Peter

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Hey guys, Thanks for the tips. I have posted on Steve's forum also and am getting a lot of response from both forums. I have found a buffalo on ebay, I just hope I can snag it. I have questions to the seller and am waiting for replies. Actually I have found 3, a Presto NSK, Buffalo, and, well I forgot the other one, you can tell I am over 40......keep forgetting...........:D
Thanks for your replies.
Carl

PS. I just looked at the other one, it is a NEY 600 handpiece with foot pedal and regulator

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I find that I use a micromotor rotary handpiece as much as I do the high-speed turbine handpiece. The micromotor (NSK Electer Emax) is much slower and has considerable torque. I can 'feel' the grinding action much better than with an air turbine handpiece. On the other hand, the air turbine literally 'erases' metal like you can't imagine. Both are excellent tools and both can be hairy beasts and ruin your work in the blink of an eye if you're not careful. They are an important part of my workbench and allow me to work much faster for relief engraving.

Yes, air turbine handpieces are air hogs. Be sure your compressor can handle one before you buy it.

Thank you Sam, I have tried so many different methods and I end up only being satisfied with H&C, either the bogg down or the rotation is not consistant or they just don't seem to want to work for me and I have been reading about how everybodies got the greatest or the worst - I've seen your work - I'll trust you!!!
Savy kemosabe?
Debbie

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
When it comes to metal removal, if I have an area that has large areas in it, I use an old Buffalo dental drill (has an arm with multiple joints, pulleys and belt drive). For smaller areas, I use the GRS-850. And as Sam says the GRS tool is an air eraser for metal. Anyway you go about it, once you take the metal out, it's real hard to correct any mistake.

Latest posts

Sponsors