First attempt at background removal

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
This is my first attempt at background removal. I realize my cutting has got a long way to go. But I think it is getting better since I got away from the fixed vise. I still catch myself trying to follow the line with the graver, rather than holding the graver still and turning the line into it. I have just started trying to shade this practice plate. I have got to do some more research on the shading and removal of background.
Please tell me what you think. I know it is not real consistent but getting there I hope. keep in mind this piece is not finished, so any help will be appreciated in order for me to finish it. I will post it when I complete.
Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.
Carl

Attachments

• First Background.jpg
    First Background.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 264

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Carl,
That's a good start.
Now you have the metal removed it's time to level it a little more.
You can start with a narrow flat of Liner, my favorite.
A good liner for this is a jewelry style curved 6-4 or better yet an Ngraver bent style #5 reduced to about 030 inch or .3mm wide. Take your time and go from several directions to avoid nicking the edges of your scroll. When you have it pretty smooth then go over it with a fine stipple.
BG removal done right is not a quick process.
Best of luck with it. Keep on keeping on.
Best, John B.

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
If you try different shading styles on paper first it will be easier when cutting.
I agree with John B. and don't forget to get in all the tight places, the deeper you go the harder it gets.
Welcome to the world of relief engraving and be patient there's no quick way.
Carl Bleile

Attachments

• b&l knf.jpg
    b&l knf.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks John for the removal advice, I will definitely try that method. I was also glad to get the dimensions and description of the proper tools to use.
Thanks to you Carl for the picture. This is a fine example of what I am trying to do. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I think I will create a border around the piece in order to get more background practice. I have stippling tools ordered that should be here today.
Again Thanks to you both for your knowledgeable input.
Carl

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this piece aint bad. it will get better. matter of fact it's fairly good. practice makes fairly good turn into really good !

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Monk,
Thanks for the reply. I have put a border around it now and am attempting to do more background removal. Boy is it time consuming. But I need the practice and this is a way to get it. I will post it, good or bad when I finish. After that I am going to attempt to shade the same piece. I have really got some great advise in the above posts. That helps a lot.
Carl

Sponsors