Gold inlay

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Good morning! Here is a picture of the muzzle end of my jaeger barrel, inlaid with 24 K gold, and then fire blued (heated over a charcoal fire).

I have to re-polish this, as halfway down the barrel, I found this gummy stuff, wich subsequently baked ont to the surface of the barrel. I am positive the cloth I was wiping the barrel with occasionally was NOT 100% cotton. I believe it had some polyester in it. I will do a heat test on the cloth before I use it on the the real deal again.

I post this because I am very thankful for the support of this forum, I also want to show that I AM learning, be it slowly, AND I appreciate your help very much.

Tom

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is some VERY nice inlay work. The design is relatively simple but looks great.

Peter

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great job Tom! Will you have this one with you when you come down my way? When is the show?

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Tom that looks great and I bet the rest of the rifle is going to be a bute. Post some pic's when it is finished.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Well done ,Tom.
Beautiful work and you did a great job in keeping the gold level and even as it goes over the edges of the octagon barrel.
One to be proud of. Best , John B.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, everyone. This is my first serious attempt at gold inlay, and it's been an experience.

Tira, the Designer/Craftsman show is Jan 16. 17, 18, King of Prussia, PA http://www.historichomeshow.com/designer_craftsmen/index.html oh, and yes, I will have this gun with me. It won't be finished, but it will be getting close. This is the show where Tira bowled me over by making a surprise visit. Fantastic.

There is also the '18th Century Artisan Show', in Lewisburg, PA, Feb 6 and 7, which is going to be a stunner. http://thoscurran.wordpress.com/calendar-of-shows/ This show will have several engravers, and work done in the 18th Cent manner on horn and silver items, as well as engraving for muzzleloading rifles.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Tom
Thought I would make a few comments on your inlay. Your execution to me looks impecable. But I do have one comment which would be a personal preference thing. I have a problem with your layout. To me when I layout an octagon barrel I try to keep the design limited to each flat and not flow from one to another with the scroll. Visually what happens is when you look at the scroll it becomes distorted as it jumps from one flat to the other. Now straight border lines are not a problem. But I do see distortion on yours as you look at the barrel from different angles. Again this is an optical thing and nothing else. I see your pattern on this barrel as a great round barrel layout.
Just a few early morning ramblings
Marty

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Point well taken, Marty. I see what you mean about the distortion. I will consider this next time when wrapping a design around corners. I think it would transition better if the crossing lines were a dead 90 degrees to the corner, as in the muzzle bands.

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors