Anyone try the GRS 'LED' ring light?

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I just saw this light today, and wondered if it's an improvement over the old fluorescent ring light? ANyone try it?

GRS: http://www.grstools.com/microscope.html#meiji #024-022 LED Ring Light (12 VDC) $128

I would like a little more light, but without heat, and this seems like it might be the ticket. It also boasts adjustable intensity.

Thanks, Tom

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom
I didn't care for it. On a poished surface I saw the reflection of all the little lights and it looked like I was engraving while watching a alien starship hovering over my work.
I rigged up a flourescent wall light to my acrobat stand in addition to my regular GRS ring light and it works good for banknote work. Usually the regular ring light is sufficient

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Whereas I got it with my scope last June and I love it.

I've never noticed the reflections of the lights when I'm working but that could just be me focusing on the lines rather than the lights. It's like the way you can focus on the reflection on the inside of a window or the scene outside, with a reminder that sometimes the reflection can block you from seeing through.

It might also be because of the way I tend to put designs on makes the surface less shiny. If I'm doing something small and quick then I'll usually roll modeling clay over the surface and draw on that (I'm starting to touch on powder for a more visibile line). For more complicated work I use Mike Cirelli's dama/naptha solution and a laser transfer which also leaves a dulled surface.

It's a nice bright light at full power and you can turn it down quite a bit if needful.

If you have some little LED lights you could try looking through your scope at something relatively shiny while holding the light(s) near the lens. If the reflections don't bother you then try the GRS light. If they bug you in your test, they'll probably bug you with the real thing.

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Tom,
I can't help with the ring light but your 2 web pages were very interesting and enjoyable.
thanks for posting links to them.
My neighbor builds black powder rifles and he wants me to engrave one.
lots of practice to be done before i attempt the real thing.
thanks
Dave

d.soileau

mine has worked well both homw and work. although at work ive goe a victor ball vise whth the chrome which is as FANCYGUN had said. like engraving looking into a starship. i jusd dim it down, adjust which quadrent is lit, or tilt the vise slightly.

at home i have GRS and no issues.

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Tom,
I added a 22 watt flourescent, magnifier desk lamp to my ring light set up. Took the round magnfier lense out of the lamp and let the scope drop through the hole where the lense was. Works good because the switch for the lamp is in the bonnet. With this setup I can run just the 12W ring light or the 22W lamp ring or both together. Got the lamp at Habor Freight for around $30.00. Let me know if you would like to see a picture of the setup.

Roger

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Brilliant! Pun intended, only after I typed it and realized how droll I was.

I happen to have an extra mag lamp, just sitting in the basement!

Yes, please post photo!

Tom

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Photo's as promised
I have 2-2x4-4 tube lights side by side right above my head centered above the engraving ball. I have a 22 watt magnifier desk lamp, which I took the magnifier lense out of and the scope drops through the hole. I have standard 12 watt ring light mounted on the scope. The switch for the 12 watt microscope ring light is on the ring light. The switch for the 22 watt desk lamp is on the bonnet. The over head lights are turned off
and on with a remote controlled switch which is double face tape to my bench. With this setup I have lots of flexibility in getting a light level that works best.

Incidentally the scope and lamp pivot together and it's no problem to push the scope and light away from the work area.

I put vinyl car door edging around the opening where the magnifier glass was removed.

Roger

Attachments

• light 001.jpg
    light 001.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 82
  • light 002.jpg
    light 002.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 79
  • light 003.jpg
    light 003.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very interesting, Roger. I'm tempted to try that. I wonder if the larger light housing would get in my way.
Very creative light source!

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
Before I got rid of the Brand X chinese scope and got a Meiji scope I had an additional 32 watt ring light on the scope. Made this light out of a round flourescent kitchen light. It was kinda big but it worked.

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors