No Luck with Parchment

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
I just tried the baking parchment and the image is barely their! Printed on regular paper first and is fine but the parchment image barely shows. I tried in on both sides also as one side seems slicker. Help? TIA

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim

Are you using an inkjet or a laser? I've heard it works with both.

I've got a laser and the only way I can get it to work with my particular printer (older HP 1100) is to use just the parchment - if I tape it to a 'carrier' sheet the plain paper blocks enough of the heat the toner doesn't fuse to the parchment. Actually, even when I use just parchment it doesn't really fuse to it, but it does generally stick long enough to do a transfer.

Brand of paper can matter too - I had no luck with the store brand but Reynold's brand is working fine for me. I can't do too large an area though - too much of the toner stays on the roller and 'repeats' the pattern lower down the page. In fact it's usually best to run a junk page through after doing a print on parchment to clean that up.

If you can get an image onto the parchment you've got it made - it'll be so lightly adhered it'll transfer off with no effort. I like using Mike Cirelli's damar + naptha (lighter fluid) to transfer on to because it's easy to get and cheap.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Steve, I guess nobody here is going to help me anymore. Weird 128 looks and 1 response lol.
I have the Reynolds brand.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tim: somewhere back in the forum, there's a ton of info oon the parchment tricks. if you sort thru that, there has to be a solution to your problem with the parchment. when a dummy like me can get it to work, uh- well most anyone can. my only problem was getting tape to stick. i even solved that with super glue.
call me, maybe i can help you 724-328-4951 till 1am eastern any day.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim

A lot of times where there are a lot of views and few responses it's because we're all going - "Hey yeah! I need that answer too!"

Are you taping the parchment to another sheet or running it through by itself? I pull off a chunk about yea long and split it down the middle to give me a 7.5" x <whatever> sheet. I tell whatever program I'm using that the paper is 7.5 x 11 (or just make sure to stay in the center of the page. I wind up 'wasting' some parchment this way but I get a good transfer and the parchment's pretty cheap.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I guess nobody here is going to help me anymore. Weird 128 looks and 1 response lol.

Or maybe we just don't care to use the parchment method. I use clear transparencies.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Same here. I've not used the parchment method. I don't often do transfers, but when I do, I use a laser printout and acetone. I think the inkjet transparency method is the best I've seen, but after 3 Epson printers dying I didn't feel like buying another one since I don't do enough transferring to justify the expense. Drawing right on work is what I do 99% of the time.

Sponsors