Some of John Rohner's Hammer collection

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We are finally getting some time to cut and paste the variosu angles of the fablous engraving collection together. John Rohner, who honestly if there is one person responsible for the beginning that became the rennaisance of American engraving, it is him, started this collection many years ago. He would send a chasing hammer head of to various engravers and have them engrave them, so it is a unique microcosm of that engravers work on an engraving hammer.

For this picture, going by memory, which I should'nt do, but all my notes are next door in a pile on my desk. L-R first is by James B Meek, author of the Art of Engraving, next is Mitch Moschetti, next ( I think) is Robert Adams, next is Winston Churchill, next is Sam Welch, then Amayak Stepanyan, then Hans Rohner (John's son) and the last one is Ron Smith.

http://pilk-uns.com/hammerl copy.jpg

Hopefully the picture is viewable, I am not real good at shrinking pictures for the web and keeping them clear. I can make 13x19 prints razor sharp, but I don't have good luck with shrinking pics for the web.

More to come as we are piecing the collection together for a forthcoming article.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's an amazing collection. I did one for John years ago, and mine pales in comparison to some of these. I hope thet go in a museum someday. Thanks for photo skills, Scott. / ~Sam

jdveritas

Am relatively new to the trade.... am sad to say that I am unfamiliar with John Rohner, is there anything published on the man? People who devote their time as you say he did... should be honored. Do you have possesion of those hammers? If so what do you plan to do with them?... Jim

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amazing collection. I also think it should eventually be in a museum.

If I recall, John Rohner is the "R" in GRS.

Peter

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a great collection. Do we get a prize if we guess all the engravers that did them? Just kiding. Which one did the Cafe host do?
Scott aren't you working on a book or something. If so will these be in it, I'd would love to see these in high resolution.
Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yeah Scott, crank us out a hi-rez version from that awesome monster 16 megapixel Canon of yours. / ~Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I will be doing more with these pics as we get the rest of the group put together.

Jim, John Rohner is really a man of many talents and interests, who first had his engraving featured on the cover of the American Rifleman in 1955. He just finished a Colt SAA that I hope will also grace the riflemans cover. I will try to post those pics tomorrow. I was out of town over the weekend and trying to catch up on stuff or would have already. He still has the hammers in his possession and I am doing one for him now, as is Philipe' Grifnee, I saw it when I was at Philippe's shop back in July. so the collection is spanning at least 30 years now.

As mentioned he is the R of GRS, and the reason it all started. Much I could write about but most of it is going to this article which I am submitting for the Rifleman which for sure will be available after publication.

Latest posts

Sponsors