Short video - engraving Zippo

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I was just finishing Zippo engraving for customer and thought I try out the time-lapse function of my camera. So filmed my shading and later thought, why not make short-ish engraving video.

So for your pleasure, with shading and stippling: Hand engraving Zippo.

I think I'll do proper video later on with some other project, this was just a proof of concept thing.

Viljo

HarvestR

Nice work, and very interesting to see how it progresses. I also like the Volga you engraved in the other video !

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Vilts!
Both the video and the lighter, of course. ;)

I noticed you tighten the set screw on your Lindsay to secure the graver - I've just been using the retention of the o-ring myself. Have you found that locking it in is an advantage? The advantage of not locking it down is the ability to just slide out one graver and insert another.

Sometimes when I'm working it feels like it's going as fast as in your video, even though the clock disagrees.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts I like your sharpening fixture tell me more about it, where you gotten it ect. It looks simple and easy to use.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts
Thanks for posting. I looked at the lighter a long time after the video to try to soak up the engraving. With your shading you really made the vine look real.
Rod

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Great video Viljo, thanks for sharing it. I like the work you did on the zippo. Your patter turned out great.

I look forward to any other video you decide to do.

Mike

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words. Actually my main objective behind this video and the blog I keep is to educate 'common' people, as they are potential clients and also usually have no clue why it costs so much and how it's done. When I've shown it to my coworkers they all go ooh-and-aah :). People don't know enough to appreciate the art and process.

I noticed you tighten the set screw on your Lindsay to secure the graver - I've just been using the retention of the o-ring myself. Have you found that locking it in is an advantage? The advantage of not locking it down is the ability to just slide out one graver and insert another.

Steve, I know about the o-rings, but when I tried to engrave without tightening, the graver wiggled a bit and I did't like it. So I take the extra 3 seconds to tighten it.

Vilts I like your sharpening fixture tell me more about it, where you gotten it ect. It looks simple and easy to use.

mdengraver, I use Lindsay sharpening fixture. For more info please look his website: http://airgraver.com/sharpening.htm

Great video Viljo, thanks for sharing it. I like the work you did on the zippo. Your patter turned out great.

Thanks Mike! Actually that pattern is about a year old and one of my first ones I did after reading Ron Smith's book. As the customer was in real hurry to get the Zippo I didn't have time to make new pattern. I usually don't like to reuse my old designs.

Very nice work Viljo and I though it was funny that you showed the Made in USA at the end with the Russian national car on the side.

I agree Scott :). But then again, I think almost all Russian cars are copied from US cars. I don't know which one was the inspiration for that Volga, maybe you recognize it?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Vilts!

I haven't noticed any wiggle but I'll keep an eye out for it. If I notice any (now that I'm looking for it) I know how to take care of it.

mdengraver

I also highly recommend the Lindsay sharpener. On the one hand, you're limited to the gravers you / Steve have templates for. On the other hand, it's very hard to mess up on a graver.

HarvestR

But then again, I think almost all Russian cars are copied from US cars. I don't know which one was the inspiration for that Volga, maybe you recognize it?

GAZ (Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod) was at first releasing official copies of Ford cars, but soon engineers developed their own models. More on wikipedia GAZ.

The "Volga" you engraved seems to be a GAZ-21 model made from 1958 to 1961. It's not officially inspired by any US car, but some can find a likeness with 1950 Chevrolet Monterey or 1956 Ford Mainline.