whitetail floorplate

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
'Resize' makes the image a different number of pixels. Changing from say, 800x400 down to 400x200

'Compress' makes the image take up less disk space with the 'same' number of pixels. I say 'same' because it throws away more actual information on the assumption that what it makes up when it displays the image will be close enough to the original for folks not to notice. The .jpg format is a lossy compression method that relies on the fact that the human eye isn't that good at noticing certain types of distortions, allowing the computer to through away some information and just make up something close enough later.

I generally size pictures to about 600x400 and keep the compression pretty minimal. If your software lets you, you can experiment and see the sometimes dramatic difference in file size between settings like 95 and 93 - it's up near the 'keep everything' level that you get the biggest differences. Once you drop down to around 85 you don't save much more space but the effects start getting pretty visible. Or, if you software uses labels, 'Very High' vs 'High' will make much more difference in space than the 'High' vs 'Medium'

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice work Lee. You have to wonder how some of these guys can still engrave when they can't even see the monitor;)

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's another try.

Attachments

• Copy of whitetail 002.jpg
    Copy of whitetail 002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 137

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Getting better Lee, may I suggest a light tent,will take care of the glare
Monk ,was not the monitor a ship in the civil war:rolleyes:

Lori Ristinen

I just want to sit and keep looking at this engraving! The layering and depth really does draw you in! I'd love to see a bigger picture of it but I'm sure nothing could come close to seeing it in person. I agree, the person that gets this gun may never get around to actually pulling the trigger! Beautiful engraving!

Thanks for showing us this!

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a high probability that I will have this gun in Reno either on my table or on the table of one of the other fellows that have a part in this project.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I still can't see it good enough and just cause I'm the pal I am I'll offer to put it on the bottom of my rifle so I can see it better in its proper context.:D

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Outstanding work Lee! The scrolls and leaves are beautiful and the Deer is awesome!! Thanks for posting, I love the bigger picture too. Dwayne

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Lee, its beautiful, you have a style all your own, its a great study pic for me as well.
thanks for showing,
Kent

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's wonderful Lee, just like your sense of humor. I can't quit looking at that deer. Maybe because it's deer season here and I'm hoping to see something like that down by the swamp tomorrow.

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Lee, Great job! I also like the deer. I went to the basement and tried to draw a deer head last night. It is not real easy. I have some great study books so i will keep at it. I like Tim am white tail crazy right now. The farmer spotted a huge one. So that's all i can think about! I think i need some up close study!

Latest posts

Sponsors