Inlay practice

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Here's my first more-or-less serious attempt of doing inlay (for EITH v2). Learned a bunch of things while doing it.

• Not so good idea to inlay harder metal into softer one - hard silver solder into copper, in my case
  • Having only one size of too thin wire isn't good either (30 gauge)
  • Inlay needs practice, this piece has just too many mistakes
  • Long smooth curves are hard to get right

P.S. On some of those leaves I tried flare cutting. Some came out OK, but I had terrible heel drag problems. I used Lindsay's 96 degree point.

But besides all that, what do you think?

Viljo

Attachments

• inlay-1.jpg
    inlay-1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 266
  • inlay-6.jpg
    inlay-6.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 310

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Vilts: I always advise to practice inlay with the real stuff...24k gold. You work really hard at learning engraving, so maximize your chances for success by investing in some pure gold. Nothing inlays as well and is as cooperative as 24k.

Try not to bruise the surrounding surfaces when you inlay. This really complicates matters and costs you a lot of time when you have to refinish afterward.

I use a common flat graver with radius heel for flare cutting, and heel drag is minimal.

Keep up the good work! / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts I'm amazed you were able to do what you did with silver solder. That stuff is so brittle. If you use fine gold like Sam suggests you'll be saying why did I even mess with that. If you don't have fine gold try some fine silver. It's relatively inexpensive.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Sam and Mike, thanks for the advice. When I did the inlay I thought many times that this shouldn't be that hard. The reason why messed up the surrounding surfaces was also because silver was harder - I basically had to hammer the silver in and then move the surrounding copper to hold it tight. Too much trouble, I know :). I should get the 24K gold and silver wire in a few weeks.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Vilts

One day we'll start a thread called ................."Things I tried that didn't work too well" or "It seemed like a really good idea at the time..........but"

It will be a veeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry long thread!!! :) :) :)

Cheers
Andrew

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts

By looking at the final picture I would never have known this project gave you fits. I really like the design and the silver shows well against the copper.

I was wondering what kind of stones people generally use to do this type of work? I've been wanting to give them a try but I'm not sure exactly what kind to buy. Gesswein stocks about a zillion different types, so any help narrowing down my options would be appreciated. Thanks!

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Vilts,

Not an expert but indeed, harder inlay material in softer receiving material is not the way to go.
But, by doin this I do think you gained a lot of experience in a short time!
Like training a marathon with climbing boots, when running the real thing with sportschoes.....

I love your result!!! Very nice.

Greetings,

Daniel

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
There is a satisfaction with doing something really difficult and having it turn out nice like this. How many times have you said " I am glad I did it but wouldn't want to do it again." And this won't be the last. It turned out nice. Thanks for posting.
Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors