transfer sheets

markpreston

I bought some transfer sheets from GRS. They are basically a thin clear plastic sheet backed with a translucent backing that you can peel away. The back of the top (clear) sheet has a tacky backing so you can attach the image to your work. I tried to print an image in my HP officejet printer on one tonight and all the detail is lost so the image was useless. If anyone has used these or is using them now perhaps you can offer me some advice on how to print the image so that the detail is preserved. Is it the printer or is there something I did wrong? Anyone?

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mark, I'm not sure exactly what transfer sheet product you are speaking about. I looked on the GRS site and in their product catalog and didn't see any transfer sheets matching your description. However, I have used 2 part transfer sheets similar to what you have described above, but not for engraving on metal. The transfer sheets that you peel away the back and "stick" onto a surface are good for rotary tools because the rotary tool has no problem cutting through the plastic allowing you to follow the pattern. I've had problems with these types of transfer sheets with gravers because the transfer sheet tends to bunch up and not cut cleanly distorting the pattern. Again, I have not used whatever product you bought from GRS. They may have a product out that does cut cleanly with a graver.

I have only used a laser printer to print the pattern on the 2 part transfer sheets. I use an ink jet printer to transfer onto transparencies to use with the transfer magic product.

markpreston

Tira,

thanks for the reply. I am using these to transfer art work onto media for scrimshaw. I began to work on an illustration of a hawk last night and I wanted to use the transfer sheet but as I said the detail was lost in the printing. A world-class scrimshander I talk to told me his technique which is to lay the image on the medium an then outline the major elements by punching holes through the image into the underlying medium. I ended up using another means to transfer the image by using photo paper then carefully peeling away the paper backing so what you have left is sort of a rubbery surface which contains the image. Worked pretty good but it took about an hour to carefully remove the paper backing. I am going to try to use one of these sheets in a laser printer and see if I have more success. thanks for the advice.

Dan Grubaugh

Hello Mark, I believe the product that you are trying to use is mylar. Try print settings for transparencies and use the black ink only, take the color cartidge out or the ink will never dry. I have used these and as Tira said, they work great for rotary tools. I am not sure how much detail you will be able to get on these mylar sheets, I have had mixed results and it usually takes a little tinkering with enhancement settings. Designs that are simple line drawings seem to come out the clearest. Hope this helps, Regards, Dan

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
Scm

I have used the same type of sheets from http://www.scmsysteminc.com/ and had good luck with them for scrim. I use a Gravermac when I use this product and get good results. The thread called " The Captain" was done in this way. The product is used with a laser printer best. I am sure that there are other suppliers for the product at a better price.

Sponsors