Firearms auction sites

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have found that some of the high end firearms auction sites provide multiple, highly detailed pictures of engraved guns they have up for auction. However you must take, with a gain of salt, what they say about the engraving. The engraving on nearly every gun for sale is refered to in the most glowing adjatives regardless of its quality.

Here are links to an example of a nicely engraved Walther that shows the kind of detail and photos that can be found:
http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/252/images/org/36123.jpg
http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/252/images/org/36123x4.jpg
http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/252/images/org/36123x7.jpg

Did you notice the name C. Willig under the muzzle. In this link you will find the full description of the gun if you scroll down about 42 guns: http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/252/div_catalog_252.asp?pageREQ=no

Now take a look at the accompanying text: "...Entire surface of pistol has exceedingly beautiful & fine, intertwined foliate arabesque pattern engraving with fine gold wire borders around all surfaces. Front edge of slide is engraved in script "C. Willig". This is one of the more elaborate German pistols ever examined by this cataloguer & further research should be conducted to determine Mr. Willig's status with the Nazi war machine. He surely must have been someone of great importance in the Hitler hierarchy."

I am still laughing about this one. Many of you will know that Claus Willig is a well known German gun engraver who was no more than a child during WWII and anything but "...someone of great importance in the Hitler hierarchy."

Never the less the gun auctions do provide good photos of engraved pieces and are important in the world of collecting.

CRB

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Roger

How right you are about auction descriptions and Claus Willig.

Indeed Claus is a fabulous German engraver, a fine gentleman and a long standing member of FEGA. We're very fortunate that I have an excellent article accompanied by first class photos of Claus' work ready to publish in the Engraver magazine at some stage. His history, research and skill as an engraver (hammer and chisel) is stunning!!!! His American Legacy Colts with the pictorial history of the USA engraved over 3 or 4 (?) guns is amazing and he has done other series with themes as well.

I've been to auctions where they descibe guns to be in "good working order". Maybe to hit someone over the head with.................... but not shooting :)

Cheers
Andrew

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

Glad to hear that Claus will be featured in "The Engraver." Given that Claus was born in 1939, the year the war began, he must have been one exceptional baby to be "someone of great importance in the Hitler hierarchy.":rolleyes:

Roger

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some beautiful Austrian work by our colleague Martin Strolz on a Blaser:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These are just a few of the beautifully photographed, engraved guns to be found on the James D. Julia web catalog. You will find much to study if you are an engraver and some great pieces to bid on if you are a collector of engraved arms. There are numerous other gun auction sites as well but the Julia site has some of the best photography.

Triggerguard and floorplate of a Winkler/Mauser by Martin Strolz:

R. J. Kornbrath engraving:

German schutzen rifle with wonderfully carved stock:

Dassa engraved Bertuzzi:

Beautifully chiseled Francotte:

A good detailed photo in focus is a great source of inspiration and knowledge. Many sites, even those promoting hand engraving have photos from which nothing can be decerned at all. Thanks for the links.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,
Strange that I have found the Blaser rifle a few months ago on the site of a dealer in Texas. Now it seems to be in Maine. Castings of this rifles side plates are available through FEGA. The Mauser rifle I engraved only a few years ago, -a bit sad to see that the customer sells it so soon.

Martin

Latest posts

Sponsors