black that stays

d.soileau

what are the best methods for antiquing the background of engraved items.
ive got the vigor antiquing but have noticed that ultrasonic or steam can remove that too easily for my taste. i want something better. i done want a customer to keek comming back because the black came out.

suggestions??

ill try to get pics up soon of recent work.

damon

tengraver

Hi Damon,

I assume you are talking about steel? For brass most gun shops have "Brass Black" that works very well, and for silver "liver of sulphur" does the trick (available from jewelry supply houses). Brass black is touchy because the surface must be very clean before treating and the solution needs to be fresh and not contaminated. Always pour a small amount into a separate container, never dip anything into the bottle or you'll be buying a new one very shortly (spoken from experience!)

d.soileau

at home its alot of steel, nickle, and brass.
so your suggesting forms of oxidation to get the black in there?

id thought of enameling but thats more equipment im not too familiar with nor do i have the $$ for yet.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I USE SELENOUS ACID it's toxic, don't get it on your skin. available at machine engraving supply centers.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For steel you can use cold blueing, 44-40, Van's, Birchwood Casey, etc. Apply with a cotton swab prior to final polishing then top off the engraving with polishing paper to remove the excess. Be careful with fine shading not to over polish when removing excess blue. It is permenant and does not fill the cuts like ink. For stainless steel I use an industrial Sharpie. It is pretty durable.

CRB

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Scott mentioned the 2-part epoxy paint which I have also used. What I don't like about it is that it's a satin finish as opposed to flat black. That was many years ago and maybe they have a flat black now. It is very durable and the stuff I had required 24hrs to cure.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I recall, someone mentioned having success with Rustoleum flat black paint as an option.

Peter

Sponsors