Chasing Hammers

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charlie,
This is one that I made for myself. It's probably crude and bulky compared to what others use, but it's good enough for the guy using it.

I had a friend who owed me a favor turn a dozen of these heads for me. I told him they were flat tappets for a straight 8 Buick engine. I bored a hole in a square of hard maple and glued in a section of 3/8ths hickory ramrod for flexibility. As a beginner, it has served me well enough up to now.

Dave

Attachments

• chasehammer.jpg
    chasehammer.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 883

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum buddy. You should be able to find just about anything you want to know about here.

Show, or post your scratch built steam locomotive. I'm sure they will enjoy seeing it as well as I did, but it is much more impressive in three demension. It has that WOW factor.

I think you might even find some engraving block ideas in the archives and/or tips section.

The drawing that Pierre just posted is the traditional chasing hammer, and you can build it with a planishing tool on the opposite end like the one shown, or like mine, which has a ball peen configuration.

The chisel can be made with a furrel to keep the wood from splitting, but I like the wood to metal contact on the end you tap. Seems to soften the vibration a bit. Also, that flexibility in the handle is pretty important for the same reason.

The configuration of the chisel is pretty varried with any engraver as to length, diameter etc. due to individual preferences. If you have a wide end on the hammer end of the chisel, it will be a little easier to "find", as your focus is on the chisel point and the broad face of the chasing hammer helps to hit the chisel easily so that you can focus on the point of the tool, rather than trying to hit the chisel, if you get my drift.

I showed you guys at the GMP a piece that Charlie made you will remember. He does superbly flawless work.

Post your engraving tools when you get them made, Charlie. We will all enjoy seeing them.

Rock on Charlie!!

Ron S

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's a photo from my website of some of Lynton McKenzie's tools, including his chasing hammer. As you can see, the hammer is not the springy handle that many engravers use. It's been my experience that there are as many styles, shapes, weights, and handle lengths and thicknesses as there are engravers.

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Charley,
Welcome to Cafe.
Here are my hammers and chisels. The hammers are casted after wax models, the robber molds provides easy replacement. The grips are made of apple wood and oak. Apple and pear is the best materials.
The weights are different for various needs and scales of work. The hammer on the left is the smallest you can buy on the market.
The chisels are mostly high speed and Glenn Steel, easy to do and easy to replace.

Attachments

• emMG_6992.jpg
    emMG_6992.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 669
  • em_MG_6995.jpg
    em_MG_6995.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 630

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i made these ugly beasts years ago when i couldn't afford to buy hammers. i stii use these once in awhile these days. ugly but they work automobile/truck valves, file handles. the one is made of hex stock, and has a hardened piece of drill rod in the end for peining work.

Attachments

• HEX HAMMER.JPG
    HEX HAMMER.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 580
  • HAMMERS.JPG
    HAMMERS.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 614

Andrew Biggs

Here's a plan for a chasing hammer from John B that he has asked me to upload.

The hammer head dates from the 1800's styles used in England and the US of A.
Just as an aside one of my students, (now deceased) made a small business making copies of these after he took the classes.

He used to sell quite a few by placing an advertisement in The Engraver a few years ago.
I can also take a picture of my hammer and handle for a later post if you think that might help.
Andrew, I think you used this hammer with a brass punch to set some silver or gold when you were here to visit a couple of years ago.....................................John B

Attachments

• Engraving-Hammer-John-B.jpg
    Engraving-Hammer-John-B.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 702