Line engraving

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Alain ---- to hell with the art critics ! This piece is simply magnificent & I would like to buy a print. Please let us know when you will be offering them & put my name on the top of your list of orders. Ken

Ken,
this engraving is a practice plate that I composed for my students of the Grand Masters. It is not yet completely finished
It was my idea to reuse it as a bookplate but I can print some proofs before engraving the letters and send you one if you want.
I had also prepared a course synopsis for my class and I want to work a little more to complete it so that it could be published as a book.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brilliant and masterful work. I wish we could have been at GM this year to see it in person. You are a gift to the art of engraving, Alain. / ~Sam

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Brilliant and masterful work. I wish we could have been at GM this year to see it in person. You are a gift to the art of engraving, Alain. / ~Sam

Sam,

I hope you had a good time during your vacation but, yes, we missed you and Abigail this year!

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Yes indeed Mr. Alin --- I most certainly want to receive one. I will have it matted & framed and hang it close to my bench for enjoyment & study. Please advise how much. My email address is kenhurst@suddenlink.net ---- please drop me a note indicating cost for print & shipping. I will forward you a US postal money order for same & my mailing address. Many thanks, Ken

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Yes indeed Mr. Alin --- I most certainly want to receive one. I will have it matted & framed and hang it close to my bench for enjoyment & study. Please advise how much. My email address is kenhurst@suddenlink.net ---- please drop me a note indicating cost for print & shipping. I will forward you a US postal money order for same & my mailing address. Many thanks, Ken

Ken,

I copied your address. Be patient because I am at present overwhelmed by the backlog of work.

Alain

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, Alain, it was a honor to meet you at Glendo.
Admiring you works!
Here are some photos from this meeting.

Attachments

• emIMG_2208.jpg
    emIMG_2208.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 42
  • emIMG_2232.jpg
    emIMG_2232.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 69
  • emIMG_2234.jpg
    emIMG_2234.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 75

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congratulations Alain on a very successful class. I have heard very good things about the class. I wish I could have been there. Teaching the line engraving technique was a very good idea. I look forward to seeing you in Reno. The lady is as beautiful as in real life.
Lee

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee
You would have loved being in the class. The line engraving would have been right up your alley. I know we all improved our techniques and insight.
Marty

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Paul, I was very pleased to meet you and talking.
I hope to see you again in the future and more of your engravings on this forum.
Thank you for the pictures.
Thank you also, Lee, for your comment on my class.
There was an empty chair, as Marty said it, it was for you!
See you in Reno.
Alain

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alain
This has become a compulsion with me finishing the class engraving plate. Worst part is I am enjoying it and making enemies of my customers whos work I should be working on instead. All I can say at this point is the cat was easy but the left hand holding the cat is a toughie. But I will forgo everything and fall back on my drawing experience and "fudge" the hand into submission.
I plan on making a rubber mold of the plate and have some castings of it in Reno for you.
Marty

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Alain...The woman with the cat is beautifully executed..reminds me of my wife with our cat..cuddling him, and talking baby talk. What type of hand tool did you use, and what is the graver point geometry? Keep up the good work.

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Alain
This has become a compulsion with me finishing the class engraving plate. Worst part is I am enjoying it and making enemies of my customers whos work I should be working on instead. All I can say at this point is the cat was easy but the left hand holding the cat is a toughie. But I will forgo everything and fall back on my drawing experience and "fudge" the hand into submission.
I plan on making a rubber mold of the plate and have some castings of it in Reno for you.
Marty

Marty,
you are tenacious! that's the way to overcome the difficulties.
It is well known that drawing the hands is not an easy thing.
In this case, because the hand is in the light, be attentive not to overwork.
The lines have to be very fine and be continued with small dashes or dots.
I will be happy to see the result of your castings.
Alain

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Alain...The woman with the cat is beautifully executed..reminds me of my wife with our cat..cuddling him, and talking baby talk. What type of hand tool did you use, and what is the graver point geometry? Keep up the good work.

Thank you, I am happy that you appreciate this scene.
The tool is a square hand pushed graver, the face angle is 45° and the heel is +-8°.
You have also a few very fine lines and dots with a lozenge ( 75°) graver
A low heel works better in the light lines ( at least for me). I increase the heel when I need to cut deeper so that I don't drag in the small curves.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Alain...Thank you for the response on the graver sharpening question. You mentioned the difficulty of drawing hands...one of my art teachers once said, "If the hands are not right they look like a bunch of bananas". Keep up the good work, and keep posting your fine work.

Sponsors