John Barraclough's very clever gravers

Scottyd

I've used the GRS 1.8mm CMAX blanks in the 3/32 brass tubing using the John B method. I cut the blanks in half, round off one end a little and pound it into the brass tubing (its bigger than the tubing) about 1/2 inch, then fill up the rest of the tubing with 1/16 welding rod. Then use instant glue to tie it all together. However it does tend to be a little weak in the middle if you tend to lever the graver excessively.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Try
https://centennialcarbide.com/carbide-rod/
At $0.99 for 3" rod that's pretty dang cheap.
I bought some 1/8" and ground them to 3/32 square and made gravers from them, work pretty sweet.
Next time I would order the Ultra fine grain to see if there was any difference.
Also, the tubing worked well for 1/16 carbide circuit board routers, I just glued the cutter end into the tubing.
Grind the shank for the graver, real cheap source of carbide. Not super grade but cheap.
Don't put too much side (down) pressure on them tho, snap....
Jim

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the day he first posted this-- i gave it a whack. jb has been added to my geniuslist.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you Jay (Monk) and JJ. Flattered that you guys like the little gravers.

often the simplest way to do something just goes unnoticed. till somebody gets a spark of genius. therein lies the value of the forum.