John Barraclough's very clever gravers

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The last batches I made up I used 1/16" X 2 inch length Cobalt drills from MCS. These have 3/4 inches of flutes which I install into the square brass tubing. On this batch I cleaned the inside of the brass with acetone to remove any oil from the brass and the drills and pushed the drill flutes clear through the brass, exposing them.
I coated the flutes with JB Weld for steel and retracted the flutes and goo back into the brass.
Getting old and lazy I guess and the JB Weld is quicker and easier than soldering.
My friends and I have not found a problem with the JB Weld. At least, no complaints so far.
Still a pretty nice little graver for under $2.00.
Best.
John B.

I have several of John's recent batch and they're excellent gravers!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Woops.! One little little correction to my post. Sorry for the error.
I bought the !/16" X 2" drill bits from Enco......not MCS. Even though they have joined I'm not sure they carry the same merchandise.
What I used are Interstate #01190040 Cobalt drills.
Sam and Mike, thanks for the thumbs up on them.
Best. John B.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Having a fair collection of carbide gravers too short to comfortably use in my hand piece, and some of the brass square tubing in the appropriate sizes I added a bit (no pun intended) of length so as to get "my money's worth" out of them.

PS...held together with super glue which seems to hold up just fine and makes for a quick construction.

Attachments

• graver extension.jpg
    graver extension.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 112

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Perfect timing for this post to be revived just got brass tube and carbide stock today, off to the shop.
Thanks,Leland

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Probably 1/8", but why would you need to add square tubing OVER a 3/32" square blank?

Most modern day systems are based on using the 3/32" square or 1/8" ROUND - unless you have much older GRS handpieces with chucks or one of Lindsay's Omegas with a 1/4" collet?

I have one of those, but I use it because I need the 1/4" graver width for hogging out textures in mokume gane billets, not for engraving.

Brian

SamW

The short larger "next size up" piece is used to hold the graver and 3/32 "added length" in line so that the short 3/32 graver is now that much longer when mounted in the hand piece.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok... I guess? But what handpiece can you put an 1/8 SQUARE into these days? Other than those I mentioned above?

I just braze a piece of 3/32" square mild steel stock to the butt for an extension when I need one.

But I solder all day long - it's just a customary way of thinking, when that's what you do, I guess?

B.

Last edited:

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
It would be hard to buy this information! What a remarkable resource.........
Thank you all and Happy New Year

Jerry

SamW

Brian, I have done electronic soldering many times but I never got past that stage. A couple of minutes with a saw and some CA glue and I'm done, and no holes burned in the carpet, so to speak.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, you have carpet on your shop floor?

When you replace it, you should probably send it to the refiners...

There was a large commercial jewelry manufacturing shop in San Francisco that sent their linoleum out to be refined after 40 years in the building.

They got back well over 50 ounces that had been ground into the floor over the years!

Can't remember the whole name of the business anymore - B?something Brothers?

I bought one of their 2 position benches. Still had about a quarter ounce of gold dust in the catch pans when I got it home...

Years add up.

B.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
One of my students who's a jeweler refined the seat cushion in his chair and got about $2k for it!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
One of my students who's a jeweler refined the seat cushion in his chair and got about $2k for it!

That is a great idea Sam.
The last batch of sawdust/gold, sanding dust and used sandpaper I sent in returned me 1.3 OZ of gold wire in exchange.
I just collect the debris in a gallon size zip top bag as I go. Hadn't thought about my seat cushion 'till now :(

Latest posts

Sponsors