Chaser's hammer,

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Thank You Friends,

My first post on this forum was the question concerning a chasing hammer. The response was wonderful. There were so many different ways to accomplish building a hammer, but all had one thing in common, and that was to beat on an engraving chisel. I value each and every response and picture. And you, "Monk" you showed us that you refuse to be denied when you want to accomplish something, I so much admire you, and thank you for showing us your solutions.

Well, I did make myself a hammer. I used bits and pieces of these many responses and designed myself a hammer, - - - just for me.

The head is made from S-7 Tool Steel, the handle is made from Oak Dowels, a 1/2" and a 7/8". This Oak will work until I get something better.

I have owned Ball Ping hammers all my life, but never had a use for the Ball end, so I did not put one here. I did put a small conventional head on the back side, as I have many times used a small hammer to flatten a burr raised on the edge of a bar or some other device that got damaged.

Anyway, here is what I did, and once again,

Thank You.

Charlie

Attachments

• PA130040.jpg
    PA130040.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 94
  • PA130041.jpg
    PA130041.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 97

Andrew Biggs

Hi Charlie

Very nice chasing hammer. I love home made tools as it really gives you quite a bit of satisfaction of using something that you've made yourself. Plus it's a lot more fun than mowing lawns (and far more important!!!) :)

Cheers
Andrew

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charlie, if you look in the archives, you can find Scott Pilkingtons post of the collection of engraved hammer heads that I think belong to John Rhoner. Quite a collection and all are engraverd if you are interested. When you get enough practice, you can engrave yours.........What do you think??

Your chasing hammer looks great!!

Rock on, buddy!!

And now, I got to get back to work.......

Ron

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charlie, if you look in the archives, you can find Scott Pilkingtons post of the collection of engraved hammer heads that I think belong to John Rhoner. Quite a collection and all are engraverd if you are interested. When you get enough practice, you can engrave yours.........What do you think??

Your chasing hammer looks great!!

Rock on, buddy!!

And now, I got to get back to work.......

Ron

I was thinking the same things Ron said. It is a nice hammer and looks like it would be a great canvas for engraving.

Peter

steichman

My hammer

simple hand forged hammer from 1/2" square bar stock. The larger end was upset in a vice, eye was punched and drifted.

Steve

Attachments

• DSC05880.JPG
    DSC05880.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC05882.JPG
    DSC05882.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC05883.JPG
    DSC05883.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC05884.JPG
    DSC05884.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 54

chuckmc

Hey Charlie I too am beginng engraver. I use the ole hammer and chisel. I thought about making the hammer out of a valve rod what yall think. Chuck

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Charlie I too am beginng engraver. I use the ole hammer and chisel. I thought about making the hammer out of a valve rod what yall think. Chuck

If you are challenged with the idea of building a hammer, then I say "go for it".

"Monk" made a hammer out of a valve. He could tell you more than me about that.

If it makes sence to you, I wanted to build the hammer more than I want to engrave. That's what I do, I am a Mechanical Designer, and Engineer. I don't think I will ever be any good at engraving, but I do want to give it a try.

You can never really appreciate what the other Guy does until you try to do it yourself.

I am in awe of seeing some of the stuff that Ron Smith does, those scenes look like they were " Photo Eteched ". I enjoy hanging out on this forum and seeing some of the stuff these other Guys do.

For me, it's just fun to look.

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Steichman,

Forging is a dicipline in its self. Not so easy as cutting it out with machine tools, but if you don't have a Mill and Lathe, you got the shape you needed anyway.:)

Thanks for showing us your hammer.

Sponsors