Plastic hand engraved pantograph templates

I thought maybe some of you would like to see this.

At one time I did a lot of these company's, jewelers and for my own work needed them
to do on gift items that could have been for a couple hundred pieces for as cheep as they could do them, computer engraving wasn’t wide spread, digitizing costume logo’s a night mare I know I had to do some and hand engravers where dieing off, so for a lot of people this was the way to go; it wasn’t that long ago 15 years maybe.

It was also how the brass type was made for the pantograph; there where two machines they where spelled very similar you would cut the plastic by hand then cut one smaller to fit the pantograph in brass or use the plastic one directly if you only had to trace 50 or so.

This is how I had to layout the one I did for Pope John Paul III in 2000 it was a gift to him given at the Jubilee 2000 in Rome (Bible book cover); I had to do it this way because it had to be hand engraved on black lacquer painted brass of the Vatican coat of arms and his personal family coat of arms so to get the basic layout I felt it was the best way to go followed by hand engraving all the detail, if I had one slip, one unwanted scratch, the job would have to be started over no touch up allowed. Oh I had to do it in one days time no pressure!!!

I’m posting a couple of pictures of a simple one I did 10 years ago. I used a ink marker to go in the groves so it would show up, close up and photo of another one in brass I have laying around.

It’s no big deal but thought some of the new engravers would get a kick out of how it was done.

Attachments

• lam.jpg
    lam.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 99
  • close-up-templit.jpg
    close-up-templit.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 64
  • k-of-c.jpg
    k-of-c.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 101

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
years ago i did all the custom pantograph templates for the things remembered chain of stores all over the us. i cut most of them in the regular engravers plastic, using my trusty gravermeister and a # 54 round graver. this was a fun and profitable venture until tr went into the computer engraving end of things.

Latest posts

Sponsors