Aphabet for Inside Ring Hand Engraving

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is the only alphabet I've seen for inside ring hand engraving, and it's for script.

Attachments

• alpinsring041.jpg
    alpinsring041.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 557

donnatheeng

just a bit confused,you can put most any style inside a ring if you can draw it in such a way as to cut it.i've put hebrew and chinese characters in rings.i won't say by any means it was my favorite job and was tricky but i got it in there.i don't understand the script style only chart for inside things.donnatheeng

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Inside Ring Engraving Fonts

The script font is the only font I have specifically designed for inside rings. If anyone else has one to post
I'd like to see it.

I think script is possibly the easiest inside ring engraving font to do, although I think their all hard in a ring.
A master engraver I once knew described inside ring engraving as "Rollerskating on a beach ball".

Maybe Sam or someone else can answer your question. You can hand engrave any alphabet
you want inside rings if you can do it. This particular script alphabet is a simplified
script that is designed specifically for inside rings. It's harder to make the cuts so
you try to keep them simple with simple jabs for the shade cuts, and in wide ring bands
steepen the angle of the cuts from 45 degrees up to 60 degrees. It should make the
cuts easier. I think for inside ring engraving the script font is usually the font of choice.

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitry,

I had to change the resolution in order to get it accepted as an attachment I tried but I can't seem to improve it. If I improve the resolution the attachment gets rejected, even when I compress it. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions on this.

Andrew Biggs

A big thank you to mdengraver!!!

He's sent me the picture to try and get it on the forum..............however to do it justice and show all the cut directions that he's made I've had to leave it as it is.

So you can go to this link http://www.engravingarts.co.nz/cafe.htm and download the hi-res version into your computer and print it for a reference sheet. I suggest you print it out from a good quality graphix programe like Photoshop, Corel, Illustrator or anything else you have.

It's an excellent scrpt reference sheet and thank you once again mdengraver for making it available to the forum members.

Cheers
Andrew

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your welcome. Notice how hairlines and jabs for the shade cuts don't have to connect up. The eye fills in the connections, especially at such a small scale.

Also, I would like to know how many inside ring engravers use power-assist for inside rings? I would imagine power-assist would be a handicap with such a delicate hand-engraving job.

Last edited:

donnatheeng

i use a lindsey air graver and i can adjust it to do super fine hair lines yet still have the power to cut 14k white gold and platinum.the first ring i did was shakey till i got on to adjusting it.i also use that adjustment for doing hair and shading when i do pictures of animals and such.donnatheeng

Jude

Thanks for your post, that font is quite useful as I'm still very much in the learning stage. I do a little bit of inside ring engraving and I use power assist (Gravermach).

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jude,

Thanks for posting this Alphabet.
I have never done inside ring engraving (aside from a try or 2).
Could you tell me or anyone else what gravers you use?
I saw special "around a corner" gravers but allso heard about just doing it with a square graver.
This would be very informatinoal! At least to me.

Thanks again for posting.

Daniel

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Is there any chance that a font could be created from this that could be downloadable to a pc? I would love to be able to transfer this as a font using a Word document. Right now, I use a number of different fonts to do layouts inside rings, but I always have to make conversions because some are impossible to cut inside a ring. It still beats freehanding though.

Latest posts

Sponsors