I have decided to start engraving again

loyd freeman

Sam, A few months ago I felt that I had gone about as far in engraving as I could so, I quit, I kept up with the Engraver,s CAFE and after a while I felt that I could improve so,I am back. I needed to see what could be done with a little more work. I see now that there are things that can be done if you keep trying and by darn ,I am going to improve. Even if I don,t improve I can,t say that I haven,t tried. I really look up to all of the members for their fine work and showing how much fun and enjoyable engraving can be. Loyd Freeman,an old fighter pilot.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Loyd, the wonderful thing about engraving is that no one seems to know everything about it. It is a constant learning curve and something that is done one way by one engraver can be done completely differently by someone else. The only way to improve your engraving is by constant practice. With the sharing of ideas that the Cafe has to offer the novice has a wealth of experience to call upon and, with luck and hard work, this knowledge can save you years of struggling on your own. It's good to hear you're back cutting, keep it up and post some pictures of your work sometime.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Much like learning to play an instrument, people seem to learn in plateaus. You play and play and play and improve over time to a point where you seem to be stagnant.

I guess that applies to engraving as well so you walk away from it a while and come back to it looking at things a little differently and you'll suprise yourself at how new things feel and how hungry you get again to learn and push your limits out a little farther. Hang in there like a hair in a biscuit and keep designing and cutting.

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
It is good to have you back, Loyd. I missed seeing you at the Blade Show the last couple of years. Just keep cutting and making small improvements as you can.

Joe

WDA

Loyd, I'm glad your at it again. Sometimes a little break can move us along to the
next level. I know for sure you are not a quitter!

For all of you that have not had the pleasure of meeting Loyd in person, I can say
he is quite an achiever. Many years spent in the air being a fighter pilot, a #1 man for a
commercial airline, and an all around cowboy so to speak. I had the pleasure of taking
an engraving class with him and he earned my respect both as an engraver and gentleman.

Best wishes Loyd, I hope to see you again in person soon.

Your friend, Bill Albers

loyd freeman

I would like to thank all of the members for their kind comments. I look back on my work and you are right it isn,t so bad after all. I am stocking up on pictures of engravings that I have admired and I am trying to use different styles to improve my work, guess what ,it works. I have been back engraving the past two months and it is fun again. If I can figure out how to put some pictures on the web I would appreciate any comments. Thanks again troops. I am still flying, Loyd

Sponsors